65 years have passed since the establishment of Rīga Medical Institute, today known as Rīga Stradiņš University. We have put together a few facts and figures from the beginning up to today.
Sixty five years have passed since the establishment of Rīga Medical Institute (now Rīga Stradiņš University). Here are some facts and figures from the beginning up to today.
“Rīga Medical Institute has become one of the top institutions of medical education during the USSR (Soviet Union) period and has successfully accomplished its mission – to train highly qualified doctors and honourable citizens (…),” professor academician of the Latvian Academy of Sciences Jānis Stradiņš wrote in 2010.
In 1950 a total number students at Rīga Medical Institute was around 1200, whereas in 2015 the number of RSU students climbed to 7000.
Initially there were three faculties – Medical Treatment, Dentistry and Pharmacy. Structural units of the institute were located at 12 Padomju Boulevard (current name: Zigfrīda Annas Meierovica Boulevard), 9 Kronvalda Boulevard (Anatomical Theatre), 9 Stabu Street, 9 Veidenbaums Street (current name: Baznīcas Street) and in the largest Rīga’s hospitals. In the course of time the university has grown rapidly: now the number of faculties reaches 9. Numerous structural units and learning facilities are scattered all around Rīga.
|Graduates||549 (in 1951)||1,220 (1140 undergraduate programmes + 80 post-graduate programmes)|
|Library readers||782 (in 1951)||11,797|
|Library collection (units)||25,304 (in 1951)||590,504|
|Vehicles (in possession)||2: one motorcar, one lorry||6: one motorcar, three electric cars, one minibus, one lorry|
- Rīga Medical Institute: from 1950 until 1990
- Medical Academy of Latvia: from 1990 until 2002
- Rīga Stradiņš University: since 2002