From RMI/AML to RSU: on the threshold of the anniversary

  • Print

The beginning of the history of Rīga Stradiņš University (previously – Rīga Medical Institute and Medical Academy of Latvia) dates back to 1 September 1950.

The construction of the main building at 16 Dzirciema Street began on 17 December 1981, and a time capsule containing a message for further generations was immured. The message said:

On (..) December foundation for a new building complex of Rīga Medical Institute was laid. Let the building serve for training and upbringing of several generations of physicians of Soviet Latvia. Let the departments and scientific workers of the institute gain a success and give a contribution to the development of medicine.

We, people of the 1980s, wish happiness and success to those learning and working in this building, taking care of the health of the inhabitants of Soviet Latvia and beauty of our capital Rīga.

See the historical photos here.

The newly-built Rīga Medical Institute was opened after six years – on 28 October 1987. The building occupied an area of 16,000 square meters, currently managed by Rīga Stradiņš University. Over 1,000 rooms – classrooms, laboratories and offices – were gradually furnished. The construction costs amounted to 4.5 million roubles.

See the historical photos here.

In 1990 Rīga Medical Institute was renamed Medical Academy of Latvia, whereas in 1998 Constitutional Assembly took the decision to rename RMI as Rīga Stradiņš University, despite the fact that the law “On the Constitution of Rīga Stradiņš University” was proclaimed four years later – in 2002.

1985 rsu building

The process of the construction of the new building of Rīga Medical Institute (now Rīga Stradiņš University). Around 1985. Photo by Paulis Cīrulis. From the collection of RSU Museum

1988 rsu building

The building of Rīga Medical Institute (now Rīga Stradiņš University) around 1988. Photo by Paulis Cīrulis. From the collection of RSU Museum