Syllabus of postgraduate 2nd level professional study programme “Residency in medicine”
Speciality: Dermatologist / Venereologist
Code of speciality: P27
Credit score: 132 CP (198 ECTS)
Duration of programme: 132 weeks
Programme Director: Ilona Hartmane, Professor (pictured)
Goal of the programme: To master theoretical knowledge and practical comprehensive skills and development corresponding to the demands of the specialty regulations, to qualify the physician for the certification in the specialty of Dermatologist / Venereologist.
Eligibility: MD degree.
- CONTENT OF THE PROGRAMME
The teaching and training process lasts 3 years. In the first year, residents are taught the basics of Dermatology, as well as the relevant specialties – Histology of normal skin, Pathological histology of skin, Allergology, Immunology, Urology, and Oncology, that is organized as courses. In the second year, residents are taught Infectious diseases, Endocrinology, Psychotherapy, Neurology, Physiotherapy, Laboratory, Dermatovenereology. In the third year, residents study specialized Dermatovenereology according to individual schedule, and relevant specialties – Therapy and Surgery. Residents under the guidance of teaching staff of RSU, and of physicians, authorized to teach students and residents by professional associations take part in their routine work, examine patients, teach students, perform scientific work, and participate in events organized by professional association.
- STUDY OUTCOMES
The theoretical knowledge and competence in dermatovenereology.
Practical comprehensive skills and development corresponding to the demands of the specialty regulations.
To qualify the physician for the certification in the specialties of Dermatologist and Venereologist.
- Evaluation of resident's practical skills and theoretical knowledge after every rotation discipline.
- Residency State exam:
- examination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills with patient;
- presentation of scientific clinical or applied research, which should be handed in to the commission in the written form one month before;
- hands in to the commission a report about the accomplishments during the studies;
- exam is rated by a grade, information about the examination is reported in a protocol, which is signed by head of the committee and all members of committee.
Resident is conferred the qualification of Dermatologist and Venereologist according to the decision of the examination committee and order of RSU rector.
Study languages: Latvian, English.