Year 1963 | History of RSU | History and Traditions | About RSU | Riga Stradiņš University

Year 1963

  • Google plus

Associate Professor Vladislavs Korzāns (1931–2002), a Biochemist and Doctor of Medical Science (1969), having been RMI's Teaching Pro-Rector for two years, was appointed Rector of the Institute. V. Korzāns was the youngest Rector in the entire Soviet Union at the time.
In 1970, he became a professor.

1963 1

Prof. V. Korzāns.


RMI created a Central Scientific Research Laboratory (CSRL) with five divisions:

  • Parenteral Feeding and Biochemistry Division,
  • Experimental Physiology and Surgery Division,
  • Electron Microscopy Division,
  • Virology Division,
  • Tuberculosis Division,

as well as

  • Infectious Diseases Clinical Biochemistry Research Laboratory,
  • Chemical Pharmacology Laboratory,
  • Connective Tissue Physiology and Pathology Laboratory.

A significant change in the CSRL’s work took place in 1964, when, upon purchase of the new electron microscope, the first electron-microscopic research was undertaken.
In 1967, the Leukaemia Research Section began to operate within the framework of the CSRL.  
The CSRL was closed down in 1993.

1963 2Dr. M. Siņeļņikova and Engineer J. Bērziņš at work with an electron microscope.

On 10th September, Maija Pumpure-Kaufmane, a fifth year student of the Faculty of Dentistry won the gold medal at the European Rowing Championships.  

In 1963, the LSSR Ministry of Public Health approved RMI Main Construction Plan, which contained the construction of lecture theatres and laboratories from 1966 until 1970.

1963 3The first sketch of RMI building.


Rīga Stradiņš University, 16 Dzirciema Street, Rīga, LV-1007, Latvia, +371 67409261 (UTC +2), international@rsu.lv