The Ethics Committee of Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU) established in 1996 is in charge of assisting students and academic staff by providing consultations and assessing ethical aspects of medical researches. The Ethics Committee acts in conformity with The Regulations of the Ethics Committee, international legislation and regulatory enactments of the Republic of Latvia with regard to biomedical researches, and the Committee is independent in its decisions.
To learn the RSU Code of Conduct and Ethics regulation of RSU Faculties of Medicine and Dentistry, go to the RSU Laws and Regulations section
Composition of the Ethics Committee
Chair: Professor Olafs Brūvers (Dr. theol.)
Deputy Chair: Professor Vija Sīle (Dr. phil.)
- Prof. Regīna Kleina (Dr. med.)
- Prof. Guntars Pupelis (Dr. med.)
- Assoc. Prof. Santa Purviņa (Dr. med.)
- Assoc. Prof. Viesturs Liguts (Dr. med.)
- Assoc. Prof. Voldemārs Arnis (Dr. biol.)
- Asst. Prof. Iveta Jankovska (Dr. med.)
- Asst. Prof. Kristaps Circenis (Dr. med.)
Documents to be submitted:
- Application form containing name, surname, date and signature of the applicant;
- Short description (Research Protocol) containing the description of the research, its venue and methods (to be annexed to the Application Form);
- Permit issued by the management of the hospital/institution (at any level) to carry out the research (to be annexed to the Application Form);
- In case of the analysis of anamnesis, permit issued by the responsible person of an archival institution (to be annexed to the Application Form);
- In case of clinical research with patients/participants, note saying that an informed consent will be given by patients/participants, principles of voluntary participation and confidentiality, as well as data protection of persons/participants will be observed (to be annexed to the Application Form).
The Application Form shall be submitted to the Secretary of RSU Ethics Committee Inga Bēniņa, RSU main building (16 Dzirciema Street), Block B, Room 2016, on Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 15:00 to 17:00.
Processing of applications
Applications are processed during meetings of the Ethics Committee that take place on the last Thursday of every month. If the application is received after the last Thursday of the month, it will be processed on the last Thursday of the next month. In case of the receipt of many applications, the Committee’s meetings shall take place twice per month.
Prof. Olafs Brūvers, Chair of RSU Ethics Committee
Mobile: +371 26511739
Inga Bēniņa, Secretary of RSU Ethics Committee
Phone: +371 67061596