Extend Residence Permit - Riga Stradiņš University

Extend temporary residence permit

  • Google plus

Please note that a temporary residence permit (TRP) for studies is granted for one year, unless the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) shortens the duration of the TRP. Therefore, should you continue your studies at RSU for more than one year, you will need to prolong the TRP every year. Since at the time when your existing TRP expires you will be living in Rīga, you can apply for a new TRP without leaving the country.

You should apply for a new TRP three months before the expiry date of the existing TRP but not later than 45 daysbefore the expiry date of the existing TRP. Please note that annual procedures are your responsibility even though the RSU Immigration Officer will contact you and remind you that the procedures have to be completed again. Should you miss the immigration procedure deadline, you will have to pay a penalty fee of EUR 284.5.

These are the procedures you have to undergo to receive a new TRP:

STEP 1: Get Immigration invitation from RSU

RSU will prepare an immigration invitation for you. To do that, you will have to confirm your address or inform about your new address. When the invitation is ready, you will be informed about your invitation number. You will have to tell it at the OCMA when you submit the documents for a new TRP.

STEP 2: Make an appointment with OCMA

All services at the OCMA can be received by prearranged appointment only. You are requested to call +371 67 829 750 on weekdays from 9:00 till 16:00. Alternatively, you may come to the RSU Immigration Office and we will make the appointment for you.

When planning the appointment time, please take into account that the OCMA is located further away from the city centre and it takes approximately 30 minutes from the Old Town and 50 minutes from RSU to get there. The OCMA office hours are from 8:00 till 20:00 every workday.

STEP 3: Go to OCMA and submit documents

Go to the OCMA and submit the first document package to apply for your new TRP card:

  1. Passport (original and copy)
  2. Study agreement (original and copy)
  3. Bank statement confirming that you have sufficient financial means to live in Latvia (at least EUR 3500.00 in your bank account).
  4. Application form and one photo: you have to fill out and submit the form only if some important personal information has changed.

When you submit the documents to the OCMA, your photo will be taken together with your fingerprints. This is necessary for your TRP card.

STEP 4: Receive your new TRP

Submit the second document package to the OCMA to receive your new TRP card:

  • Health insurance certificate covering EUR 42 600, valid for the entire duration of your stay in Latvia (original and copy). You can use certificates issued in your home country but they have to be valid in Latvia and have to be in the amount mentioned above. If you do not have such a health insurance certificate, the certificate can be bought in the building next to the OCMA at Čiekurkalna 1st line (1st Division);
  • Passport (original and copy).

After OCMA specialists will have checked your documents, you will receive your new TRP card allowing you to reside in Latvia for a period of time stated by OCMA (usually one calendar year).

STEP 5: Provide documents to RSU Immigration Office

Bring your TRP card and your health insurance certificate to the RSU Immigration Office. The Immigration Office has to have a copy of both documents in your file, so please do not forget to bring them.

For more information, please contact the Immigration Officer:

      assd-daina-ozola00          Daina Ozola
Immigration officer Address: 16 Dzirciema Str., Room K-218
Phone:+371 67 409 262 (UTC+3)
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Rīga Stradiņš University, 16 Dzirciema Street, Rīga, LV-1007, Latvia, +371 67409261 (UTC +2), international@rsu.lv