August Kirchenstein Institute of Microbiology and Virology (KIMV) of Rīga Stradiņš University is a department in the university that performs scientific activity in the fields of microbiology, virology and biotechnology.
The institute manages and carries out theoretical and practical national and international research projects and projects ordered by RSU. The institute also offers services to national and private contractors, including the performance of market-oriented research and specialised expert-examinations.
KIMV is the only actual Latvian member of the Union for International Cancer Control. Institute employees are members of such international organisations as the American Society for Microbiology, International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, European Society for Virology and others.
- Scientific Priorities
- Study of the clinical and molecular peculiarities of malign tumours in order to improve early diagnostics and treatment strategies
- Ageing: biological aging factors and quality of life in Latvian population
- Structural biology, functional and biomechanical studies for new diagnostic tools and new therapeutic interventions
- Endogenous and exogenous risk factors in Latvia, comprehensive analysis of public health determinants
- Modern approaches to infection agents, their role in infections relevant for Latvia
Field and Sub-fields
Basic medical sciences | Microbiology; Virology
Address: 5 Rātsupītes Street, Rīga, LV-1069
Director: prof. Modra Murovska
Mobile: +371 29218082