History of the library - Riga Stradiņš University

History of the library

  • Google plus
YearEvent
1950 In the middle of December, upon the establishment of Rīga Medical Institute (RMI) on the basis of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Latvia, the library of the Faculty was reformed into the Library of RMI. The first librarian was Ms Auguste Labane. Location: 12 Padomju Blvd. (now Zigfrīda Annas Meierovica Blvd.)., apt. 5, personal apartment of the previous house-owner Mr Kristaps Morbergs (1844-1928).

1951

Library users – 782; staff units – 2; stock – 25 305 items.

60s/70s

One dependent-library (No.1) at 17 Marupes Street -Student Hostel. 59 Department and Laboratory sub-branches (on the principles of public administration). Library has the Inter-Library Loan Department.

1980

Opened two new dependent-libraries:

No. 2 Library for dentists at 20, Dzirciema Street No. 3 Anatomical Theatre (9, Kronvalda Blvd.): textbooks for junior students
1988 Library moved to the new building of Riga Medical Institute at 16, Dzirciema Street

1990

Remains only one dependent-library at 17, Marupes Street Renamed Library of the Medical Academy of Latvia - AML (Academia Medicinae Latviensis) First overseas students inaugurated (autumn)
1992 The first computer at the library (program for book-acquisition and cataloguing "Compass") Dependent-library opened at the teaching hospital "Linezers" (soon grew into an independent hospital library)
1993 Computerisation of the library (third library in Latvia) by introducing the home-made (in Latvia) bibliographic information system ALISE (Advanced Library Information Service)
1994 First library project for the Soros Foundation. Internet link for the Library and the University installed, first CD-ROM data bases created  First participation in the International conference in Oslo (4th EAHIL Conference) The library becomes a member of the Association of Latvian Academic Libraries
1995 The library becomes an institutional member (INST 838) of the British Medical Association (BMA) library The library’s "Readers' Club" established
1996 The library joins European Association for Health Information and Libraries (EAHIL) as an institutional member The library starts acting in longterm state project “LATLIBNET” together with 7 largest libraries of Latvia The aim of the project: to form one library information network in the country
1997 Framed the home page of Library (third after the Latvian Academic Library and Riga Technical University Scientific Library)
1998 In September was opened Library Information Centre (IC) In the IC is incorporated the World Health Organization (WHO) Documentation and Information Centre in Latvia In October in the framework of state project LATLIBNET started introduction of a new library information system ALEPH-500 (Automated Library Expendable Program used in about 1250 institutions in 52 countries).
1999 In order to improve yield of information and interchange speed was installed a new, more high-powered (2 Mb/sec) radio-link for the whole university. To provide the new information technologies in the framework of project LATLIBNET were got 30 computers, printers, etc. Presentation of WHO Documentation and Information Centre.
2000 March 24: opening of the Union Catalogue at the National Library The first processed and presented report at the 8th International Congress of Medical Libraries in London (also 7th EAHIL Conference in July)
2001 Professor Haralds Voskis: library consultant, receives the first LATLIBNET project Unified Reader’s Card
2002 Library users: 4036, staff: 32, stock: 316511 items. Renamed as Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU) Library The library takes an active part in introducing Quality Control System at the RSU (standards LVS EN ISO 9001:2000 and LVS EN 45013:1989)

2004

 

January 15: RSU Library is registered in the Library Register of the Ministry of Culture (LR). Registration Certificate No. 523, registration No. BLB0523 Notably active cooperation with ESU - English Speaking Union office in Latvia (started in 2001). The total amount of the grant is LVL 7558.95. The last and also the greatest donation contains fiction and English language teaching materials. At the end of the year was signed an Agreement and the WHO Documentation and Information Centre in Latvia - structural unit at the RSU Library - is accredited as the WHO Depository Library in Latvia. LATLIBNET project libraries (incl. RSU Library) are engaged in the "State United Information Network of the Libraries" project.

2005

 

RSU library is accredited as an official state level library On September 9, 2005 the Library Accreditation Committee got acquainted with the resources and services of the Library. Latvian Library Council (Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia) accepted the conclusion of the Library Accreditation Committee about Riga Stradins University Library - to accredit the Library as an official state level library (Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia Accreditation Certificate No. 7 from 26.09.2005).
2006 On the 5th of April Library director Inara Aploka was awarded the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia gratuity for purposeful management of the Library and the development of its information services.

Rīga Stradiņš University, 16 Dzirciema Street, Rīga, LV-1007, Latvia, +371 67409261 (UTC +2), international@rsu.lv