1.5-2 years (3-4 semesters)*
Full-time studies based on the module system (6 modules)
Professional Master’s degree in Health Management / Professional qualification ''Business Establishment Executive''
Business Establishment Executive
To apply, click here
Rīga Stradiņš University and Rīga International School of Economics and Business Administration.
* Length of studies depends on your undergraduate education and work experience.
The programme "Health Management" is well suited for anyone who considers working in the field of management and particularly developing their career in any type of institution in the field of health care. The programme provides theoretical and practical knowledge in the fields of health management, economics, and health policy based on an international approach to health system management; the programme also gives an opportunity to apply acquired knowledge in real work situations. It is the only programme of its kind in the Baltic Region, and the professors teaching in the progamme are professionals from Latvia as well as visiting professors from serveral foreign universities.
The programme is jointly implemented by Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU) and Rīga International School of Economics and Business Administration (RISEBA), each bringing its own unique expertise:
- RSU is the first choice for medical studies in the Baltic region, and it has the largest number of international students in Latvia, coming from Germany, Sweden, Norway and other European countries, constituting 20% of the total student body.
- RISEBA is the only institution of higher education in the Baltic region that has been accredited by globally recognised European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) and awarded EPAS accreditation for European and International Business programmes.
Advantages of the programme:
- Health management studies grounded in an international experience will allow you to gain a competitive advantage over other candidates with general management knowledge.
- Studies take place in small groups of up to 15 people – this will allow you to learn faster, as you will have a more personal communication under the guidance of experienced academic staff.
- Your peers will include a diverse group of professionals from various healthcare services and healthcare, pharmaceutical and consulting companies from across the globe.
- The convenient two-year module system course will allow you to combine studies with work.
- Upon graduation, the EU/EEA approved diploma will allow you to pursue a career in any European Union country.
- Studying in Riga – the vibrant and multidimensional metropolis of the Baltics will enrich your social and cultural life.
Now is the time to join the healthcare industry. Half of the 20 occupations projected to grow the fastest over the next few years are in the health services fields. In addition, healthcare jobs are expected to increase faster than the population during that same time, as the older population increases and improved technology advances life expectancies. This is an exciting time for healthcare management. Today, requirements for senior-level positions in healthcare organizations are demanding, so, if you are already holding a managerial position in healthcare industry and eager to improve your knowledge and competences, then Health Management is the right programme. High professionalism and friendly environment in RISEBA and RSU together with all the beauty of Riga and Latvia make every minute spent unforgettable and productive.
-- Teymur Musayev, MD
2nd year student from Azerbaijan
- Aims & Structure
Aim of the programme
The programme aims at developing knowledge and skills that are applicable in real-life work situations, and provide students with highly valued knowledge in healthcare and management, grounded in an international experience.
The programme has been designed to:
- develop economic and management knowledge, which are necessary for effective management of organisations and enterprises in the field of health care;
- prepare high level specialists for professional work of a manager in the field health care;
- support implementation of practical development and change projects in organisations and enterprises in the field of health care.
The length of the programme depends on undergraduate education you have acquired:
- 1.5 years (90 ECTS) for students with a profiling education (economics, finance, MBA), professional qualifications and/or management experience of at least 3 years in the field of healthcare.
- 2 years (120 ECTS) for students without a profiling education or previous work experience.
In the 1st year (1st and 2nd semester) students will:
- attend seven one-week long intensive study sessions or the so called modules (6 days in a row) in Riga. These sessions will include a combination of academic lectures and seminars (including lectures held by visiting lecturers and policy-makers), in-class discussions, role-plays and case studies;
- carry out a placement project in healthcare enterprises and organisations, participate in revision and defence sessions.
In the 2nd year (3rd and 4th semester):
- students from the 90 ECTS programme will be appointed an individual Master's Thesis supervisor either from RSU or RISEBA, and they will start writing their Master's Thesis. The Master's Thesis will have to be completed over a period of 6 months.
- students from the 120 ECTS programme will develop an extended internship project in healthcare enterprises and organisations, have a possibility of individual meetings with faculty tutors. In the 4th semester students will be appointed individual Master's Thesis supervisors either from RSU or RISEBA, and they will start writing their Master's Thesis.
Studies and reading materials are all in English, therefore, a certificate of English proficiency is a must (IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 550 or equivalent).
Please note also that basic knowledge of economics is required in order to fully comprehend courses in business administration and health economics. Therefore, we offer an introductory module "Basics of Economics" for those who need it for an additional charge.
Even though it is a full time study programme, it is based on a convenient, the so called module system, which means that the course plan consists of 6 full days of studies per month, and it has been designed this way specifically for those who are planning to work alongside their studies.
Programme schedule for academic year 2014/2015:
- Module 1: 22-27 September 2014
- Module 2: 20-25 October 2014
- Module 3: 08-13 December 2014
- Module 4: 02-07 February 2015
- Module 5: 23-28 March 2015
- Module 6: 11-16 May 2015
- Final module: 07-09 September 2015
- Master's Thesis
Applicants without basic knowledge of Economics must take additional introductory module Basics of Economics: 17–19 September with an exam on 26 September.
For more information on Latvian Education System, please see the homepage of the Academic Information Centre.
The programme courses include: Business strategy and management in health sector; Strategic human resource management; Public health and epidemiology; Health care organisation and financing; Finance management; Health economics; Marketing in health management; Legal aspects in health management; Project management; Research methodology.
Below you can read examples of courses, which you will study over the course of your degree.
Introductory Course: Basics of Economics
This is a must course for all applicants who lack basic knowledge in economics and management. The course takes place at the beginning of September Y1, prior to Module 1.
This course is for an additional charge of EUR 210.00.
Module 1: Fundamentals Public Health and Health Economics
Public Health and epidemiology
Module 2: Fundamentals of Management in HC
Business Management and Strategy in the Organisation of Health Care
Strategic Management of Human Resources
Marketing Management in Health Care
Module 3: Health system design
International Health Law
Health System Design
Ethics in Business and Health Management
Pharmaceutical Policy and Management
Module 4: Financial and project management in HC
Financial Management of HC institutions
Project Management in Health Care
Leadership and Development of Effective Management Skills
Module 5: Health system and performance management
Health Technology assessment
Information Management in Health Care
Performance Measurement in Health Care
Module 6: Research projects and placement
The aim of the programme is to establish basis upon which graduates can build their career of professional managers in the healthcare field. Upon the successfull completion of the programme, graduates will be conferred the degree of Master of Science in Health Management,* and professional qualification of Business Establishment Executive.
- have mastered business administration (human resources management, finance, strategic management etc.) that is vital for effective management in the field of health care;
- have the understanding of challenges and possibilities of different health policies and health care organisation forms and their impact on health system performance, healthcare service providers and the end consumers;
- be able to strengthen leadership and critical thinking skills that are essential for a successful implementation of practical development and change projects in healthcare organisations and enterprises, as well as the healthcare sector in general, at both local and international level.
Graduates of the programme will also be able to continue their education in a PhD programme.
* Diploma is a document that attests that you have fulfilled all the requirements of the programme, and it is issued along with Diploma Supplement, which includes information on the content of your studies as well as your academic performance. You can see Diploma Supplement sample here.
Additional information on accreditation
There is no centralised EU accreditation for Universities in Europe. Universities, including Rīga Stradiņš University, are accredited locally by the Ministry of Education and Science with international experts present. RSU study programmes receive official accreditation every 6 years. In addition, all RSU study programmes in regulated professions, including Health Management, are developed according to EU directives on regulated professions.
Secondly, given that Latvia has been an EU member state since 2004, The Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications concerning Higher Education in the European Region, usually referred to as the Lisbon Convention, applies also to Latvian universities, including RSU. Besides many others, the main point of the Lisbon Convention is as follows: holders of qualifications issued in one EU member state shall have adequate access to an assessment of these qualifications in another EU member state.
In short, the Lisbon Convention, and the fact that RSU is an officially accredited state University, ensures that qualifications obtained at Rīga Stradiņš University are recognised in all EU and EEA member states.
- Entry criteria
1. Bachelor's degree in Health Sciences or Social Sciences
Higher academic or professional education corresponding to a bachelor's degree with at least 120-160 ECTS credit points (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) in one of the following fields:
- Health Sciences, e.g., Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, Social Work, Public Health.
- Social Sciences, e.g., Economics, Finances, Business Administration, Political Science, etc.
Basic knowledge in Economics is a must. Applicants without previous profiling education will have to take an introductory course in Economics.
Students with other Bachelor's degrees will be assessed on a case by case basis.
2. English language requirements
All applicants, except native English speakers, must demonstrate their English language proficiency by submitting documents that testify their knowledge of English. Preferably you should submit one of the following certificates with a minimum score of:
IELTS 6.0 TOEFL iBT 90 TOEIC 700 TOEFL PBT 550 GCSE (or GCE) C level Cambridge First Certificate in English Level B2 (CEFR)
Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English
Level B2 (CEFR)
NB! International English proficiency certificates and corresponding test results are valid for 2 years.
If none of the above applies, you may submit a substitute certificate or other proof of English language proficiency; e.g., if you have studied English at Secondary School, the grade from the Secondary School Official Transcript may also be accepted, provided that the grade received is very good or excellent; however, in case of any doubts, RSU reserves the rights to ask for an official language certificate as listed above.
Please use the following contact for details:
Mrs Daiga Behmane, MEcon