RSU sports club invites RSU students and teachers to demonstrate their skills and abilities not only in their academic endeavours, but in sports as well. There are various sport opportunities at RSU, e.g.:
- table tennis,
- aesthetic gymnastics.
Training Info (updated 14 September 2017)
Days & Hours Address CoachBasketball (girls)Tue 20:00-21:30 *Thu 18:00-20:00 *Mon 19:00-20:30
Days & HoursAddressCoachVoleyball (guys)Fri 20:00-22:003 Cigoriņu St., RSU Sports ClubVoleyball (girls)Mon 18:30-20:30 *Wed 17:00-19:00Wed 19:00-21:00 *Fri 18:00-20:00 *3 Cigoriņu St., RSU Sports ClubMs Ingūna Minuse,phone +371 29173182
* RSU team practice.
SportDays & HoursAddress
* Payments for tennis court usage during weekday working hours (8:30-17:00) are accepted at the accounting office of RSU Red Cross Medical College; for evening/weekend visits, players may choose a payment option when booking the court on the phone (see number above). Please note that you should bring your own tennis equipment. Dressing rooms and showers are available.
** This martial art, based on rhythm, is open for boys and girls of all levels. Especially NEWCOMERS can start any time. Do not worry about your "level of fitness". All lessons are supposed to be challenging – without overstraining you! Strength and flexibility is the result of your own regular practice. And besides movement, Capoeira is about getting into contact with new people that share and enjoy the moment together inside the group. If you would like to get to know about what Capoeira is: visit us!
The sports club annually organises:
- quick-matches in basketball with academic staff and international students,
- Freshmen's Sports Day (very popular!),
- quick-matches in volleyball with academic staff and international students,
- RSU marathon team for Lattelecom Rīga Marathon,
- Winter Sports Day for international freshmen (held in February, also involving exchange students).
The sports club also has a body-building hall, however to attend it you will have to become a member of the sports club. Workouts are provided both in the afternoons and in the evenings.
Should you wish to go swimming, you can do it in the sports centre "Ķīpsala", which offers student discounts.
Everyone into sports is welcome to attend the sports club and participate in the organised events!
RSU Sports Club
3 Cigoriņu Street
The best way to get to the Sports Club from RSU is to take bus No. 46 (stop “Dārza iela” right across the street from the University) and get off at the stop "Torņkalna stacija". If you want to go to the Sports Club from the Old Town or city centre, you should take tram No. 10 (stops “13. janvāra iela” or “Grēcinieku iela”) and get off at "Arkādijas parks" or "Torņkalna stacija".
Reminder from the RSU Sports Club:
The gym of the RSU Sports Club (weight lifting and cardio equipment) is open to students on the following days and times:
- Workdays from 8:00 until 21:00 (cardio equipment available in limited numbers)
- Saturdays from 8:00 until 13:30
Before you enter the gym, you must read and comply with regulations for use as well as sign the Safety Regulation sheet, which is in the entrance hall. Please note that you cannot enter the premises with street wear clothes and shoes.
The Small Hall of the Sports Club is not available to students without the presence of coaches.
RSU's aesthetic gymnastics group was established in the 90s. This sport includes elements of callisthenics and dance. Members of the group have participated in various competitions and performed in programmes in Latvia, as well as abroad: Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Portugal and other countries. In 2008, the group successfully participated in the 13th World Gymnaestrada in Austria.
The group encourages new participants (girls only) with preliminary knowledge and skills in callisthenics, dance or ballet, to apply. Rehearsals take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays at RSU Sports Club.