There is actually only one language, and it is the human language that manifests in various ways through an indefinite number of languages of Earth.
Wilhelm von Humboldt
In 1950, with the establishment of the Riga Medical Institute, the Department of the Languages of the USSR was taken over from the State University of Latvia, the name of which has been changed several times: Department of Languages (1951-1959), Department of Foreign Languages (1959-1994). In 1994, the Department was merged with the Department of Humanities, but an independent unit – the Language Centre – was established in 2001.
The aim of the Language Centre is to provide RSU students with the opportunity to learn foreign languages and the state language in accordance with RSU approved study programmes. Currently, the Language Centre ensures language studies for all undergraduate study programmes.
- To conduct practical foreign language and state language training for RSU students;
- To develop methodological materials for language studies;
- To promote and support the professional development of the staff of the Centre;
- To provide information to RSU students and employees about obtaining international language certificates;
- To be involved in projects to increase the Centre’s earnings;
- To perform other similar tasks in accordance with the Center’s operational purpose and current needs;
- To develop programmes for the study courses to be implemented in the Language Centre that would promote the preparation of highly qualified specialists in health care and social sciences, as well as their competitiveness in the labour market.
- To organise doctoral exams in a foreign language for RSU doctoral students;
- To prepare and issue certificates of foreign language knowledge to students upon request based on an examination passed at the Language Centre.
- Medical Terminology in Latvian
- Medical Terminology in German
- Medical Terminology in Russian
- Medical Terminology in English
- Medical Terminology in Latin
- Latvian Language in Medicine
- Language Culture
- Phonetics, Acoustic Phonetics
International and Local Cooperation
- Latvian Association of Teachers of English
- Latvian Association of Teachers of German
- Latvian Association of Teachers of French
- Latvian Language Agency
- Latvian Medical Association
- Oxford University Press and Pearson Representative Office in Latvia
- Masaryk University Language Centre (Brno, Czech Republic)
- Deutsche Auslandsgesellschaft (DAG) (Lübeck, Germany)
- Letras Castellanas Academia de Idiomas (Spain)