Skip to main content
2018In cooperation with the European Commission, the European Documentation Center has been established at RSU and located in the Library.
2017The Unified information search engine Primo was implemented, that allows the simultaneously search  for information in the Library's catalog, subscribed online databases and Open Access databases.

2016

On 2nd September, after renovations, access to the Free subscription service is launched, and rooms for individual and groupwork are open for use.

2015

On 4th May the Cross of Recognition is awarded to Director of the Library Ināra Aploka, for significant contribution to the development of and leadership of library operations in the RSU library.

2013

On 4th June the new branch of the library is opened in the RSU Medical Education Technology Centre at 26a Anniņmuižas bulvāris, Rīga.

2006

On the 5th of April Director of the Library, Ināra Aploka, was awarded the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia gratuity for purposeful management of the Library and development of its information services.

2005

RSU library is accredited as an official state level library on September 9, 2005 and the Library Accreditation Committee visits to find out about the resources and services of the Library. The Latvian Library Council (Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia) accepted the conclusion of the Library Accreditation Committee about RSU Library - to accredit the Library as an official state level library (Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Latvia Accreditation Certificate No. 7 from 26.09.2005).

2004

January 15: RSU Library is registered in the Library Register of the Ministry of Culture (LR). Registration Certificate No. 523, registration No. BLB0523 Notably active cooperation with ESU - English Speaking Union office in Latvia (started in 2001). The total amount of the grant is LVL 7558.95. The last and also the greatest donation contains fiction and English language teaching materials. At the end of the year was signed an Agreement and the WHO Documentation and Information Centre in Latvia - structural unit at the RSU Library - is accredited as the WHO Depository Library in Latvia. LATLIBNET project libraries (incl. RSU Library) are engaged in the "State United Information Network of the Libraries" project.

2002

Library users: 4036, staff: 32, stock: 316511 items. Renamed as Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU) Library The library takes an active part in introducing Quality Control System at the RSU (standards LVS EN ISO 9001:2000 and LVS EN 45013:1989)

2001

Professor Haralds Voskis: library consultant, receives the first LATLIBNET project Unified Reader’s Card

2000

March 24: opening of the Union Catalogue at the National Library The first processed and presented report at the 8th International Congress of Medical Libraries in London (also 7th EAHIL Conference in July)

1999

In order to improve yield of information and interchange speed was installed a new, more high-powered (2 Mb/sec) radio-link for the whole university. To provide the new information technologies in the framework of project LATLIBNET were got 30 computers, printers, etc. Presentation of WHO Documentation and Information Centre.

1998

In September was opened Library Information Centre (IC) In the IC is incorporated the World Health Organization (WHO) Documentation and Information Centre in Latvia In October in the framework of state project LATLIBNET started introduction of a new library information system ALEPH-500 (Automated Library Expendable Program used in about 1250 institutions in 52 countries).

1997

Framed the home page of Library (third after the Latvian Academic Library and Riga Technical University Scientific Library)

1996

The library joins European Association for Health Information and Libraries (EAHIL) as an institutional member The library starts acting in longterm state project “LATLIBNET” together with 7 largest libraries of Latvia The aim of the project: to form one library information network in the country

1995

The library becomes an institutional member (INST 838) of the British Medical Association (BMA) library The library’s "Readers' Club" established

1994

First library project for the Soros Foundation. Internet link for the Library and the University installed, first CD-ROM data bases created First participation in the International conference in Oslo (4th EAHIL Conference) The library becomes a member of the Association of Latvian Academic Libraries

1993

Computerisation of the library (third library in Latvia) by introducing the home-made (in Latvia) bibliographic information system ALISE (Advanced Library Information Service)

1992

The first computer at the library (program for book-acquisition and cataloguing "Compass") Dependent-library opened at the teaching hospital "Linezers" (soon grew into an independent hospital library)

1990

Remains only one dependent-library at 17, Marupes Street Renamed Library of the Medical Academy of Latvia - AML (Academia Medicinae Latviensis) First overseas students inaugurated (autumn)

1988

Library moved to the new building of Riga Medical Institute at 16, Dzirciema Street

1980

Opened two new dependent-libraries: No. 2 Library for dentists at 20, Dzirciema Street No. 3 Anatomical Theatre (9, Kronvalda Blvd.): textbooks for junior students

60./70. gadi

One dependent-library (No.1) at 17 Marupes Street -Student Hostel. 59 Department and Laboratory sub-branches (on the principles of public administration). Library has the Inter-Library Loan Department.

1951

Library users – 782; staff units – 2; stock – 25 305 items.

1950

In the middle of December, upon the establishment of Rīga Medical Institute (RMI) on the basis of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Latvia, the library of the Faculty was reformed into the Library of RMI. The first librarian was Ms Auguste Labane. Location: 12 Padomju Blvd. (now Zigfrīda Annas Meierovica Blvd.)., apt. 5, personal apartment of the previous house-owner Mr Kristaps Morbergs (1844-1928).