Civil Defence and Environmental Protection (KPUMTK_012)
To improve students’ competency in civil and environmental protection maters, in accordance with the provision of the Cabinet Regulations No. 716 of 15 December 2017 “The Minimum Requirements for the Content of the Mandatory Course in Civil Protection for and the Content of Civil Protection training for Employees”.
Biology, physics, chemistry (the scope of secondary school programme).
Students have knowledge of civil protection issues (in accordance with the Cabinet Regulations No.716 of 5 December 2017).
On completion of the course, students will have knowledge of:
• the structure, legal framework, organisation and management of the civil protection system; tasks, rights and duties of the State, local governments, legal and natural persons in the field of civil protection; hazardous objects, hazard identification and risk assessment; duties and rights of owners and legal possessors; civil protection commissions of local governments; hazardous substances, their classification and requirements for storage and transportation; requesting and providing international assistance; personal protective equipment in the event of a disaster; specific legal regimes and actions in specific areas.
• Students will understand various environmental factors, their impact on health and safety and action in various emergencies related to the environment.
• On completion of the course, students will be able to describe the principles of first aid in critical situations (e.g. stopping dangerous bleeding, resuscitation measures), as well as to organise calling for the first aid.
On completion of the course, students will be able to successfully demonstrate the skills of first aid in critical situations (e.g. stopping dangerous bleeding, resuscitation measures) as well as calling for the first aid.
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
• demonstrate first aid skills in critical situations (e.g. stopping the bleeding, resuscitation measures)
• appropriately manage the case and provide qualitative first aid before the arrival of EMS team
• perform primary examination of victims in the pre-hospital stage;
• carry out basic life support for adults and children;
• provide first aid for choking casualty;
• control external bleeding by direct pressure;
• give first aid for casualty in shock.
On completion of the course, students will be able to independently, critically analyse, find information and data when performing identification of environmental health problems, as well as to evaluate the importance of them in promotion and strenghtening of health.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to provide appropriate high quality first aid for casualties with different critical conditions, using the resources available.
Study course planning
|Study programme||Study semester||Program level||Study course category||Lecturers||Schedule|
|Biomedicine||3||Master’s||Limited choice||Ardis Bērziņš, Paula Zviedre, Ivars Vanadziņš, Jekaterina Jagodzinska-Peškova, Oļegs Sabeļņikovs|
|Photography||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Olga Zemļanuhina, Oļegs Sabeļņikovs, Ivars Vanadziņš|
|Photography||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Iveta Vigupe, Ivars Vanadziņš, Oļegs Sabeļņikovs, Darja Smirnova, Kaspars Šetlers, Olga Zemļanuhina, Paula Zviedre, Vita Biltauere, Ardis Bērziņš|
|Multimedia Communication||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Ardis Bērziņš, Jekaterina Jagodzinska-Peškova|
|Multimedia Communication||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Paula Zviedre, Darja Smirnova|
|Sociology of Organisations and Management||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Ardis Bērziņš, Oļegs Sabeļņikovs|
|Politics and Political Communication||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Olga Zemļanuhina|
|Regional Politics and State Administration||3||Master’s||Limited choice||Kaspars Šetlers, Paula Zviedre, Olga Zemļanuhina, Ivars Vanadziņš, Oļegs Sabeļņikovs|
|Public Relations||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Paula Zviedre, Darja Smirnova|
|Social Anthropology||2||Master’s||Limited choice||Ivars Vanadziņš, Jekaterina Jagodzinska-Peškova, Oļegs Sabeļņikovs|
|Social Process Analysis and Management||3||Master’s||Limited choice||Darja Smirnova, Ivars Vanadziņš|
|International Business and Sustainable Economy||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Olga Zemļanuhina|
|International Business and Start-up Entrepreneurship||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Ivars Vanadziņš, Oļegs Sabeļņikovs, Jekaterina Jagodzinska-Peškova|
|International Business and Start-up Entrepreneurship||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Ivars Vanadziņš, Oļegs Sabeļņikovs, Olga Zemļanuhina|
|International Marketing and Advertising||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Darja Smirnova|
|International Governance and Diplomacy||1||Master’s||Limited choice||Paula Zviedre, Oļegs Sabeļņikovs, Ivars Vanadziņš|
|International Relations - European Studies||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Vita Biltauere, Ardis Bērziņš, Jekaterina Jagodzinska-Peškova|
|International Relations and Diplomacy||1||Master’s||Limited choice||Darja Smirnova|
|Startup Entrepreneurship||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Ardis Bērziņš, Oļegs Sabeļņikovs|
|Health Communication||3||Master’s||Limited choice||Oļegs Sabeļņikovs, Kaspars Šetlers, Ivars Vanadziņš|
|Journalism||1||Bachelor’s||Required||Iveta Vigupe, Olga Zemļanuhina|