Forensic Science Expertise and Expert Work (FKK_035)
1. To provide insight into the legal regulation and organizational aspects of the work of forensic experts.
2. To give an idea about forensic institutions in Latvia.
3. To promote the acquisition of knowledge about the types of forensic expertise, their contemporary capabilities and their significance in criminal and civil proceedings.
4. To promote understanding of the possibilities of chemical and physico-chemical analysis methods in various forensic examinations.
Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Toxicological Chemistry and Pharmacology.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will have acquired knowledge that will allow:
• to orientate in a wide range of forensic examinations, to describe the possibilities and limitations of using each type of forensic examination;
• to evaluate the research objects to be used in forensics, the applied research methods and perspectives of their development;
• properly remove, pack and deliver items for various types of forensic examination by the forensic institution;
• understand and interpret the analysis methods available in the literature;
• to orientate in the competences of different Latvian forensic institutions (types of forensic examinations to be performed in the particular forensic institution).
As a result of the study course students will be able to:
• perform the simplest forensic chemical examinations, analyze the obtained results and, based on their evaluation, draw conclusions and draw up expert opinions;
• use chromatographic and spectroscopic methods, performing analysis of different types of research objects;
• assess what kind of forensic examination the object could be subjected to, properly remove it at the scene, pack it and deliver it to the examination institution;
• evaluate the possibilities of forensic co-ordination of forensic examinations of different specialties for a specific object of research.
As a result of the course students will be able to choose the research methods to be used for a specific object, to carry out its research and forensic analysis of the research results, to present and justify their activities and judgments sufficiently and reasonably.