Medical Terminology in Latin (VC_008)
To acquire skills and knowledge on correct reading, writing, use and explanation of anatomical and clinical terms, to integrate the knowledge of Latin in studying other study courses and in doing scientific work to help them understand the main idea of scientific articles, using the knowledge in medical terminology.
Knowledge of the English alphabet.
On successful completion of the course the students will know how to:
• explain the basic rules in reading and writing medical terms;
• identify the Latin and Greek prefixes and word endings for new word formation;
• name the Latin combining forms and their meanings;
• interpret the rules for making, explaining and using anatomical and clinical terms.
On successful completion of the course the students will be able to:
• read and write the medical terms correctly;
• identify medical combining forms;
• identify and classify anatomical and clinical terms;
• form and explain anatomical and clinical terms;
• translate the terms from English into Latin and vice versa.
On successful completion of the course the students will be able to use properly the anatomical and clinical terms in academic situations.
Study course planning
|Study programme||Study semester||Program level||Study course category||Lecturers||Schedule|
|Medicine||2||Master’s||Required||Ieva Fībiga, Līva Bodniece, Ināra Ābelīte, Miervaldis Karulis, Ņina Zazerska, Olga Voika, Vita Vīksne|