Pharmacy Terminology in Russian (VC_036)
To improve, develop and streamline students’ knowledge of Russian for communication, academic and professional purposes and to facilitate the acquisition of professional medical terminology for productive use.
Knowledge of the Russian language at least at A2 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Language Learning, Teaching and Assessment.
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
• recognise familiar medical terminology in different types of text;
• provide either Russian explanation or English translation of the terms and to compare with Latin terminology;
• read a text related to medicine, find and highlight key words, the main idea, the necessary information in the text;
• name the parts of the body, the main organs and systems;
• describe responsibilities of a pharmacist;
• recognise linguistic structures characteristic to scientific and popular science sources (noun formation, cases, agreement with adjectives; grammatical system of the verb in the active voice, the imperative; the subjunctive mood, participle and the infinitive, etc.).
After successful course completion students will be able to:
• use appropriate medical terminology interacting with patients/clients and colleagues;
• select medical terminology and make their own termininological glossary;
• speak about one's work in a pharmacy;
• provide information about medication.
The students will be able to provide information about themselves, their studies; receive, write and give the necessary information on the use of medication; to hold a conversation with the patient.