Placement in Pharmacognosy (ZFTK_030)
1. Expand and strengthen the knowledge obtained during lessons about the most frequently used medicinal plants in scientific medicine.
2. Promote practical skills in correct crude drug preparation (harvesting, pre-treatment, drying, standardisation) and storage methods.
3. Improve practical skills to differentiate morphological appearance of medicinal plants, crude drugs and their adulterants.
Plant and Animal Biology. Latin. English. Basic concepts and terminology of Pharmacognosy; knowledge of the physical and chemical properties of the main groups of plants active substances; understanding of the identity and goodness of crude herbal drugs, regulatory documents governing them, working skills with these documents. Knowledge of the nomenclature of medicinal plants and herbs.
Upon completion of the placement programme the students will know:
• to differentiate the most commonly used medicinal plants in scientific medicine from their adulterants;
• characteristic morphological features of plants and diagnostic features of crude drugs;
• the basic knowledge of crude drug preparation and storage.
Students will be able to find and identify medicinal plants in the wild; accordingly to correct steps, prepare qualitative crude drugs from plant origin and ensure their storage.
Students will be able to produce qualitative drugs that meet the requirements of their identity and goodness according to the regulatory documents.