Skip to main content

RSU students who are citizens of EU/EEA countries have the right to move and reside freely within the territory of Latvia. Thus, immigration procedures are not compulsory as long as you leave the territory of Latvia once in every 3 months. Most RSU international students do exactly that because of summer breaks, holidays, exam periods, etc. However, in some specific situations registration is necessary, for instance, when/if opening a bank account in Latvia. If this is the case, please see the 5 steps below or visit RSU Immigration Officers.


Getting your registration card is fairly easy: all you have to do is take a few steps as described below.
STEP 1: Make an appointment and go to OCMA

All services at the OCMA can be received by prearranged appointment only. You are requested to call the Office you wish to go to on weekdays from 8:00 to 20:00. The phone numbers and addresses of the Offices are listed below:

  • Riga 3 division. Eduarda Smiļģa iela 46 (close to RSU Student Hostel), +371 67 609 957
  • Riga 2 division. Krišjāņa Valdemāra iela 26 (Centre), +371 67 209 443
  • Riga 1 division. Čiekurkalna 1. līnija 1,  Block 3, +371 67 829 750

When planning the appointment time, please take into account that the OCMA located at 1 Čiekurkalna 1. līnija is further away from the city centre and it takes approximately 30 minutes from the Old Town and 50 minutes from RSU to get there.

STEP 2: Submit all the necessary documents to OCMA

In order to apply for the Registration Card, you must submit the following documents to the OCMA:

  • PASSPORT SIZE PHOTO (glued to the form – Page 1, top right corner)
  • STUDY AGREEMENT (original and copy)
  • Health insurance (original and a copy). The health insurance has to be an internationally recognised policy guaranteeing paid health care for the entire period of stay.
Four weeks after submitting all the documents, your Registration Card will be ready. To receive it you will need another appointment, so make the appointment when you submit your documents.
You can also order a Latvian ID card instead of the Registration Card if you want to. There is no real difference between having either one of the documents, however, you receive the Registration Card free of charge, whereas the ID card costs EUR 14.23. The Immigration Office usually offers to choose between the two documents. Should you wish to get the ID card, you will have your fingerprints and your picture taken at the Immigration Office.
STEP 3: Get your Registration Card/ID Card

To receive your Registration Card/ID Card two weeks after you submitted all the documents to the OCMA, you have to:

  • arrange another appointment, unless you have done so at Step 3.
  • take your passport with you, and
  • go to OCMA.

Get your Registration Card/ID Card and declare your address (Step 5)!

STEP 4: Declare your address

You have an obligation to declare your place of residence (address) in Latvia within one month after receiving the Registration Card. Declare your address at the OCMA during the appointment when you receive your Registration Card. This service costs EUR 4.27.

At the OCMA you cannot make payments in cash, as only bank cards are accepted.
STEP 5: Bring your Registration Card/ID Card to RSU Immigration Office (K-218)

Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU) Immigration Officer must have the following information about you:

  • registration card/ID card
  • health insurance (copy)
  • place of residence in Riga (address)
  • phone number
  • passport (copy)