Online pre-courses for first year students
Apply to prepare for your studies in the
Medicine and Dentistry study programmes.
Our pre-course programme is based on the academic requirements of the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry to prepare students for continuing their studies in Medical Chemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology, Medical Physics. We also provide courses in General Medical Chemistry, Medical Terminology in Latin and Latvian Language in Medicine. The pre-courses are organised twice a year, in January and August, and will this year take place online.
To assess, fill in knowledge gaps, improve and systemise basic principles and skills that need to be obtained before starting university studies in the following first semester courses: Medical Chemistry, General Medical Chemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology, Medical Physics, Medical Terminology in Latin and Latvian Language in Medicine.
- General Medical Chemistry (2 credit points / 3 ECTS)
Applicants to the Faculty of Dentistry without prior knowledge of chemistry.
The benefits you will gain from taking this course before the start of the academic year:
- the course is supplemented with introductory chemistry to help you successfully complete the General Medicinal Chemistry course;
- you will be able to study the course in a group that matches your knowledge level in chemistry;
- you will be able to learn the contents of the course without simultaneously having to studying the eight courses that are scheduled for your first year;
- you will be able to integrate this course into your Dentistry studies and you will therefore no longer need to take this course in your first semester.
Course description available here.
- Chemistry (30 academic hours)
1. The essential basics of chemistry – atoms, ions, formulas, properties of elements
- Chemistry tables – periodic table of elements, solubility table, metal activity table
- Basic structure of an atom
- What a mole is, basic ways of calculating moles and related values
- Chemical formulas – elements, indexes, oxidation states
- Basics of chemical reactions – dissociation, ions, balancing
- Types of bonds in various substances
2. Substances in chemistry – classes of substances, main properties and typical reactions
- Classes of substances
- Types of electrolytes
- Main chemical properties of substance classes
- Typical chemical reactions for substance classes
3. Reactions in chemistry – dissociation, stoichiometry, reaction types
- Chemical dissociation
- Salt hydrolysis
- Types of reactions
4. The basics of chemical processes – kinetics, chemical equilibrium, pH
- Main principles of kinetics in chemistry
- Factors affecting kinetics
- Main principles of chemical equilibrium
- Factors affecting chemical equilibrium
- Main principles of pH in solutions
- Factors affecting pH values in different solutions
5. The basics of organic chemistry
- Classes of organic substances
- Basic chemical properties of main classes of organic substances
- Basics of structures of organic compounds
- Structural formulas and models of main organic substance classes
- Biology (15 academic hours)
1. Cell structure
- The structure of a prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell. Organelles of eukaryotic cells and their function. Acquiring of skills to work with a light microscope
2. The cell cycle. Mitosis and meiosis.
- The stages of a cell cycle. Mitosis and meiosis in detail, biological role of cell division.
3. Nucleic acids
- The structure of DNA and RNA. Functions of nucleic acids. DNA replication.
4. Protein biosynthesis
- The process of transcription and translation.
5. Transport across membranes
- Transmembrane transport of small molecules, ions – active and passive transport. Transport of macromolecules – endocytosis, exocytosis.
- Physics (15 academic hours)
This introductory course emphasises mechanics, heat, electromagnetism, and optics. Its aim is to estimate, systemise and improve students’ knowledge in Physics. This course is recommended in order for the medical student to confidently be able begin the Medical Physics and Technologies study course.
- Mechanics – Motion, Forces. Work, Energy and power. Momentum.
- Thermal physics – Temperature and energy changes. Modelling a gas.
- Electricity and Magnetism – Electric fields. Electric current. Electric cells. Magnetic effects on electric currents.
- Optics – Introduction to imaging. Mirrors and lenses.
- Measurements and uncertainties – Basics in doing practicals.
- Latin (10 academic hours)
The target of the course is to introduce students to the role of Latin in medicine and basic grammar, which is essential to learning many modern languages.
- Latin and Greek in medicine (Hippocrates, Galen, and Celsus)
- Pronunciation and the rules of word stress
- Grammatical categories
- Structure of medical terminology: nouns
- Structure of medical terminology: nouns and adjectives
- Latvian (10 academic hours)
- Introductory phrases
- Numbers (address, phone number), introduction to using the locative case and verbs "to live" and "to study"
- Food terminology, ordering (in a market, or shop)
- Describing "my family"
- "I like", "I have"...
The classes will take place on Zoom and on the RSU e-studies platform and offer:
- video lectures, animations and simulations;
- tests and exercises for self studies.
Please test that the program is working as soon as possible! If you are having any difficulties, please let us know.
There are a limited number of places on the course.
Regular price (EUR)
Course fees will not be refunded in case of absence or withdrawal from the course.
After submitting your application, an electronic invoice will be sent to the e-mail you have provided in December 2021.
Payment for the course must be made via bank transfer, by transferring the required amount into the bank account included in the invoice.
If payment has not been made by the required date on the invoice, the application will be cancelled. Group allocation will be made only when payment for the course has been received.
Chemistry: 8–12 August 2022
Biology, Physics: 15–19 August 2022
Latvian, Latin: 22–26 August 2022
- E-mail: precoursersu[pnkts]lv
- Location: Rīga Stradiņš University, main building