Pre-courses for first year students
Apply to get a taste of university life
as a Medical or Dental student!
Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU) has developed its pre-course programme based on the academic requirements of the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry to prepare students for continuing their studies in Medical Chemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology and Medical Physics.
To assess, fill knowledge gaps, improve and systemise basic principles and skills that should be obtained before starting university studies in the following first semester courses: Medical Chemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology and Medical Physics.
During the pre-course, we offer three subjects in English.
- Chemistry: 5 lessons (15 academic hours)
1. The essential basics of chemistry – atoms, ions, formulas, properties of elements
- Chemistry tables – periodic table of elements, solubility table, metal activity table
- Basic structure of an atom
- What a mole is, basic ways of calculating moles and related values
- Chemical formulas – elements, indexes, oxidation states
- Basics of chemical reactions – dissociation, ions, balancing
- Types of bonds in various substances
2. Substances in chemistry – classes of substances, main properties and typical reactions
- Classes of substances
- Types of electrolytes
- Main chemical properties of substance classes
- Typical chemical reactions for substance classes
3. Reactions in chemistry – dissociation, stoichiometry, reaction types
- Chemical dissociation
- Salt hydrolysis
- Types of reactions
4. The basics of chemical processes – kinetics, chemical equilibrium, pH
- Main principles of kinetics in chemistry
- Factors affecting kinetics
- Main principles of chemical equilibrium
- Factors affecting chemical equilibrium
- Main principles of pH in solutions
- Factors affecting pH values in different solutions
5. The basics of organic chemistry
- Classes of organic substances
- Basic chemical properties of main classes of organic substances
- Basics of structures of organic compounds
- Structural formulas and models of main organic substance classes
- Biology: 5 lessons (15 academic hours)
1. Cell structure
- The structure of a prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell. Organelles of eukaryotic cells and their function. Acquiring of skills to work with a light microscope
2. The cell cycle. Mitosis and meiosis.
- The stages of a cell cycle. Mitosis and meiosis in detail, biological role of cell division.
3. Nucleic acids
- The structure of DNA and RNA. Functions of nucleic acids. DNA replication.
4. Protein biosynthesis
- The process of transcription and translation.
5. Transport across membranes
- Transmembrane transport of small molecules, ions – active and passive transport. Transport of macromolecules – endocytosis, exocytosis,
- Physics: 5 lessons (15 academic hours)
This introductory course emphasises mechanics, heat, electromagnetism, and optics. Its aim is to estimate, systemise and improve students’ knowledge in Physics. This course is recommended in order for the medical student to confidently be able begin the Medical Physics and Technologies study course.
- Mechanics – Motion, Forces. Work, Energy and power. Momentum.
- Thermal physics – Temperature and energy changes. Modelling a gas.
- Electricity and Magnetism – Electric fields. Electric current. Electric cells. Magnetic effects on electric currents.
- Optics – Introduction to imaging. Mirrors and lenses.
- Measurements and uncertainties – Basics in doing practicals.
Seats are limited and reserved for students registered for the full course (all three subjects)!
|One subject||Two subjects||Three subjects|
Regular price, EUR
Special introductory price, EUR
The tuition fee shall not be refunded in case of absence or withdrawal from the course.
Following application, in July 2019, an electronic invoice will be sent to the e-mail you have provided.
Payment for the course must be made via bank transfer, by transferring the required amount into the bank account included in the invoice.
If payment has not been made by the required date on the invoice, the application will be cancelled. Group allocation will be made only when payment for the course has been received.
The timetable shown below offers an insight into the typical daily schedule including all 3 subjects (Chemistry, Biology, Physics), although this may vary depending on the number of subjects chosen by the student and the number of student groups.
08:30 – 10:45 Chemistry
11:00 – 13:15 Physics
13:15 – 14:15 Lunch
14:15 – 16:30 Biology
Ends: 2 August 2019
Ends: 23 August 2019
- E-mail: precoursersu[pnkts]lv
- Location: Rīga Stradiņš University, main building