Graduate Medical Training
Residency in medicine is offered at the RSU Faculty of Residency led by highly qualified teaching staff – who are professionals in their field. It is an excellent choice for future doctors who want to continue their education in over 70 specialities.
Graduate Medical Training is offered in Latvian only.
Rīga Stradiņš University’s (RSU) established the Faculty of Residency with the objective to provide qualification in the study of medicine or dentistry in one’s chosen speciality and, subsequently, relevant certification, i.e., authorisation to work unsupervised.
Graduate medical training (Residency in Medicine) is provided by highly qualified professors and various leading experts in the field of medicine and dentistry in Latvia. Training is carried out in clinics in Latvia, at modern teaching, clinical and scientific bases. The trainees can actively learn and independently carry out the examination of patients and provide therapeutic treatment with modern technologies. Determined, motivated and creative individuals with leadership skills having completed higher medical education and having been awarded an MD degree (diploma complying to European Union standards) are encouraged to apply for graduate medical training at Rīga Stradiņš University!
Aim of study programme
The aim of the programme is to ensure the enhancement and improvement of theoretical knowledge and practical skills in accordance with the requirements of the respective specialisation.
Graduate medical training ("Residency in Medicine") is organised by rotation through study courses according to the speciality programme.
The study process includes:
- theoretical education – problem lectures, seminars, patient discussions;
- practical training – study courses in hospitals and out-patient institutions, laboratories, etc.;
- independent work – practical work, literature research, scientific research.
Workload includes 40 hours per week at various medical institutions with additional seminars and problem lectures. Theoretical and practical knowledge is assessed at the end of each study course. The final examination consists of a MCQ test, clinical situation tasks and presentation of a scientific thesis.
- Applicants with diplomas issued in an EU/EEA country
Submit your documents to the Academic Information Centre (AIC) in Latvia. The AIC will look through your documents.
The documents that need to be submitted:
- Copy of passport;
- Diploma of medical degree and academic transcript of all study years;
- Certificate from competent home institutions on registration (if applicable);
- Certificate of work experience from home country (if applicable);
- Certificate of (non)convictions from your home country.
The AIC will submit their conclusion to the Association of Doctors of Latvia. The association will give a decision ruling your documents to be "recognised", "partly recognised", or deny recognition and send their decision to the AIC. The AIC in turn forwards the decision to the applicant*. These documents allow you to be registered in the Latvian Register of Medical Practitioners and Medical Support Staff.
*The applicant should receive a decision within 3 months.
Only after you have received positive results from the AIC can you can submit your documents to the Faculty of Residency at RSU.
N.B. All international students studying at the University are obliged to complete immigration procedures within the first three months of arrival in Latvia.
For further details, please contact the Immigration Officers at RSU: immigrationrsu[pnkts]lv
You need to have a C1 language level in Latvian in order to apply for our program. You can see all the application deadlines and fees here: http: https://www.rsu.lv/rezidentura/uznemsana
Applicants with diplomas issued in a non-EU/EEA country
The procedure is the same for EU and non-EU qualifications, but the decisions made by competent bodies may differ for EU and non-EU qualifications.
- Cardiac surgeon
- Doctor of Occupational Diseases
- Emergency Medicine Doctor
- Forensic Medicine Expert
- Forensic Psychiatry Expert
- General Practitioner
- Gynaecological Oncologist
- Gynaecologist, Obstetrician
- Laboratory Doctor
- Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Oncologist Chemotherapist
- Paediatric Allergologist
- Paediatric Cardiologist
- Paediatric Dentist
- Paediatric Endocrinologist
- Paediatric Gastroenterologist
- Paediatric Infectologist
- Paediatric Nephrologist
- Paediatric Neurologist
- Paediatric Oncohaematologist
- Paediatric Pneumologist
- Paediatric Psychiatrist
- Paediatric Rheumatologist
- Paediatric Surgeon
- Palliative Care Specialist
- Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine Doctor
- Plastic Surgeon
- Prosthetic Dentist
- Public Health Doctor
- Sport Medicine Doctor
- Thoracic Surgeon
- Trauma Doctor, Orthopaedist
- Vascular surgeon