Register-based Research (SVUEK_033)
To train students for research work, based on health registers data.
Public health, statistics, basic epidemiology - according to the content of bachelor study programs in Health Care specialties.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
• list the existing health registers in Latvia and describe legislation which regulates the operation health registers;
• discuss on ethical issues related with using register data for research;
• recognize advantages and disadvantages of using register data for health research.
• develop a study design in accordance with type of data provided by particular registers;
• prepare an appropriate data request to be submitted to the data owner or responsible institution.
• evaluate completeness and quality of register data in relation to their suitability for research;
• judge about potential effects or biases what register drawbacks can impose on study results;
• critically review publications of register-based research.