Latvian language courses
The Faculty of Continuing Education of Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU) offers Latvian language courses to medical doctors wishing to qualify for the second level Residency in Medicine professional education programme.
- Prospective medical residents
Medical doctors wishing to qualify for studies in the 2nd level professional education programme "Residency in Medicine" (individual tuition)
Head of the programme
Duration of programme
130 academic hours (3 months)
1.5 hours a day
Aim of the course
To acquire Latvian at conversational level in order to be able to communicate with patients and apply Latvian in simple daily situations.
On successful completion of the course, a language learner will be able:
- to use Latvian in daily situations;
- to use medical vocabulary in Latvian;
- to make conversation with a patient in Latvian.
On successful completion of the course, the language learner will be able:
- to apply Latvian in simple daily communication process;
- to select and use appropriate medical vocabulary in communication with a patient;
- to develop a case history.
On successful completion of the course, the learner will be able to use Latvian in simple daily communication and as well as use medical vocabulary in practice.The speed of progress in language acquisition is very individual as it depends on the devoted time and the learner's cognitive ability. The number of lessons is approximate. In the study process, it could be changed depending on the learners' individual skills.
Content of study course
- Gender and number of the noun. Human body
- Locative case. My family
- Cardinal numbers
- Ordinal numbers
- Adjectives. My house
- Food and using of accusative case
- Dative case
- Possessive case
- Summary about cases of the noun
- Verb. Leisure time
- Patient and doctor
- Organ systems of human body
- Work with texts
- Latvian language courses for international students and medical doctors
International students of health care field who wish to improve their knowledge of General Latvian not related to medicine
Head of the programme
From 4 October to 6 December 2022,
EUR 180 Apply
The aim of the course is to acquire Latvian at conversational level in everyday and study related situations in conformity with language levels developed by the Council of Europe (A1/A2 level).
- The most common words and phrases used at basic level of the Latvian language and the most important communicative grammar structures
- Use of the language structures acquired in the compulsory courses for international students of the health care field in everyday situations outside the medical context: market, shop, public transport, cultural institutions, etc. practicing the use of language in communicative situations at levels A1-A2 as defined in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
The number of listeners within the group is limited (12 persons).