Health System Design (VVDG_006)
This course provides students with a broad oversight of the theoretical and practical aspects of contemporary health systems: their design, functions and objectives as well as major current issues in health services planning, delivery and management.
This course focuses on the design of health systems and health policy planning. Students will be introduced to the international framework and elements of the health systems, based on the World Health Organization approach and the latest political documents. It aims to give understanding of health system reforms over last decades and the aim for further system development.
Upon successful completion of the course the students will:
• Define health care systems, their functions and objectives;
• Describe the system building blocks: governance, health care financing, health workforce, medical products and technologies; information and research; service delivery;
• Identify key actors in health sector;
• Describe the objectives, principles and process of health policy development;
• Analyse the main models of health systems and their key characteristics;
• Describe different health financing and payment systems and their ability to address health system objectives.
The students learn how to:
• Interpret health policy and health system objectives;
• Explain how health systems can be organised and managed;
• Explain different health care organization models;
• Explain different health systems using comparative policy analysis.
Students will be able to:
• Set the goals for health policy and strategy;
• Link different policy recommendations to specific health systems;
• Recognize the importance of health systems in improving health status and ensuring equitable distribution of health across populations.
Study course planning
|Study programme||Study semester||Program level||Study course category||Lecturers||Schedule|
|Public Health, SVFM||1||Master’s||Limited choice|
|Health Management, MFVM||1||Master’s||Required|
|Health Management, MFVMp||1||Master’s||Required|
|Health management, MFVVM||1||Master’s||Required|
|Health management, MFVVMp||1||Master’s||Required|