Information Management in Health Systems (VVDG_013)
This course provides students with an oversight of the role of a well functioning health information system that ensures the production, analysis, dissemination and use of reliable and timely information on health determinants, health system performance and health status.
Upon successful completion of the course the students will:
• Understand fundamental theories and principles of health information management;
• Describe the role of medical information systems in organizations;
• Describe the role of health information management in quality assurance and performance improvement, planning and management of resources, and risk management;
• Understand the design and challenges of informatics infrastructure;
• Understand different types of information systems used in the health care sector;
• Understand how health records are collected, stored, accessed, shared, maintained, and secured in health information systems.
The students learn how to:
• Explain how health information systems can be organised and managed;
• Apply strategies for improving the quality and outcomes of care using information systems;
• Apply health information management techniques to healthcare situations and problems;
• Apply of electronic health records, common data tools and reports for decision-making;
• Develop reasonable solutions to develop health informatics for the improvement of clinical and health goals.
Students will be able to:
• Recognize the selection and organization of data in terms of supporting decisions made at different levels of the healthcare sector;
• Recognize the role of information systems in the different dimensions of management in health care institution;
• Link different health system challenges to health informatics.
Study course planning
|Study programme||Study semester||Program level||Study course category||Lecturers||Schedule|
|Public Health, ĀSNSVFMz||3||Master’s||Limited choice||Ieva Bikava|
|Public Health, ĀSNSVFM||2||Master’s||Limited choice|
|Health Management, MFVM||2||Master’s||Required||Ieva Bikava, Daiga Behmane|
|Health management, MFVVM||2||Master’s||Required||Ieva Bikava|
|Health management, MFVVMp||2||Master’s||Required||Ieva Bikava|
|Health Management, MFVMp||2||Master’s||Required||Ieva Bikava|