Health Sociology (KSK_230)
The aim of the course is to help students to link medical theory with empirical data obtained by sociologists on individual and social factors that influence health behaviour and choice of health style.
• Knowledge of the main concepts of sociology of health and medicine, the main theoretical directions of health sociology.
• Knowledge of health lifestyle theories and active ageing strategies.
• Knowledge and understanding of a biomedical and psychosocial model, holistic approach to the patient, sociology of doctor-patient relationship.
• Identify the most important sociological theories that explain health behaviour.
• Understand and explain diseases in the context of experience and stigmatisation.
• Explain life quality factors affecting a particular health lifestyle.
Analyse and evaluate the individual and social factors affecting the individual’s health behaviour and the choice of a healthy lifestyle, using a holistic approach to assessing the situation.