Medical Biochemistry (CFUBK_045)
Promote the acquisition of knowledge about the human body's chemical structure, the ongoing metabolic processes and their regulation possibilities.
Organic chemistry and biology at the secondary school level. State language knowledge.
After successful completion of the course the student will be able to:
• characterize the enzyme activities and their relation to vitamins;
• define the main principles of bioenergetics and metabolism, their regulation options;
• assess the importance of biochemical results in diagnostics.
After course student will apply the acquired theoretical knowledge into practice and will be able to explain the processes occurring in the body:
• how the body can get energy from the glucose and how the glucose reserves formation process happens, as well as glucose synthesis with shortage of carbohydrates;
• how body gets energy from fat and how the process of fat regeneration happens, what is the role of cholesterol, formation process of ketone bodies and how to prevent it;
• how amino acids get into organism, their usage.
Will be able to analyze the biochemical methods results and evaluate their importance.
The student will be able to apply the acquired knowledge of the chemical processes ongoing in the body; their integration and regulation.