Public Health and Epidemiology (SVUEK_116)
To provide knowledge and develop skills in the basic aspects of Public Health and Epidemiology, which are necessary for the evaluation of health information and for evidence-based practice of Public health in the framework of Nursing and Midwifery.
The basics of normal and pathological physiology, Introduction to Psychology and Sociology, Introduction to Evidence-Based Care.
• To define the concepts of health, norm and disease.
• To formulate objectives and tasks of public health, name the most important sub-fields of public health.
• To define the concept of disease prevention, strategies and levels of prevention, including the concept and preconditions of screening.
• To define the concept of health promotion and characterize health promotion approaches.
• Name main health determinants in the context of multicausality.
• Name the definition of social determinants of health and different social determinants of health.
• Name the basic measures in epidemiology, explain differences and interrelation between measures.
• Name the sources of health information, methods of acquisition, advantages and disadvantages, objectives of health monitoring.
• To recognize the basic designs of epidemiologic studies.
• Name and describe the basic principles of healthcare organization and financing.
• To interpret the concepts of health and disease in relation to speciality.
• To give examples of health promotion and disease prevention strategies.
• To give examples of health determinants, including social determinants.
• To calculate basic measures in epidemiology.
• To distinguish crude, specific and standardized rates.
• To distinguish study designs.
• To use statistical databases for the search of health information.
• To discuss public health issues and potential speciality-related solutions.
• To evaluate the appropriateness of data sources to ascertain public health problem/-s.
• To evaluate the appropriateness of study design to answer research question.
Study course planning
|Study programme||Study semester||Program level||Study course category||Lecturers||Schedule|
|Nursing, ĀSNMZF||4||Bachelor’s||Required||Toms Pulmanis, Lauma Spriņģe, Artūrs Kaļva, Inese Stars|
|Nursing Studies, MZF||4||Bachelor’s||Required||Toms Pulmanis, Inese Stars, Dzintars Mozgis, Mirdza Kursīte|
|Midwifery, MZFVb||6||Bachelor’s||Required||Toms Pulmanis, Inese Stars, Dzintars Mozgis, Mirdza Kursīte|