China Studies Centre
The RSU China Studies Centre was established in 2005 with the aim of providing research on China and the wider East Asian region, offering certified Chinese language training, and promoting RSU academic and teaching excellence internationally.
The development of the centre has provided the opportunity to take up new challenges and to get involved in large-scale projects. Currently, the RSU China Study Centre is a multi-functional centre of expertise in regional studies. Its activities are in accordance with the RSU development vision and can be sub-divided into three main directions: education, research, and internationalisation.
Main areas of activity
Development and implementation of academic courses on the East Asian region in cooperation with other RSU departments.
Implementation of exchange programmes with international universities.
Implementation of projects related to the East Asian region, China, intercultural communication, and inclusion in cooperation with Latvian state institutions and NGOs.
Chinese language courses accessible to the public and integrated into RSU academic life, Chinese language teaching theory.
Coordination of interns and trainees.
- Centre for political/IR expertise: East Asia regional dynamics, interaction of global powers in the East Asia region, China studies, Baltic States and China, EU – China, One Belt One Road Initiative.
- Centre for language expertise: philology and phonetics research, Chinese language consultations, translation of literary works.
- Centre for cultural expertise: the history and culture of China, aspects of East Asian social anthropology.
- Publications in international databases.
- Policy papers and reports within international research networks.
- Publications and opinion pieces in influential blogs (Foreign Policy Research Institute, Forbes.com, politico.eu).
- Participation and co-organising of international conferences.
- Cooperation with research institutions in Latvia and abroad.
- Contribution to the development of visiting research.
- Inviting guest lecturers and giving lectures abroad;
- Participating in international networks in the EU, China and globally;
- Developing relations with international partners – universities, associations, think tanks, state institutions, and NGOs;
- Contributing to the international recognition and prestige of RSU.
Chinese language courses (various levels)
|Target group:||Open to everyone|
|Head of Programme:||Dr. Sc. Pol. Una Aleksandra Bērziņa-Čerenkova, Head of RSU China Studies Centre|
|Duration:||20 lessons (20 x 60 min or 27 class lessons)|
|Frequency:||To be announced once group has been finalised.|
Twice a week, weekday evenings.
The RSU China Studies Centre offers Chinese language courses for beginners as well as those with prior knowledge, depending on language level.
One course level comprises 20 lessons. Each lesson is 60 minutes.
Those who have completed all tasks and have successfully passed the end of year exam will receive a certificate.
Students are provided with an electronic version of course materials - free of charge.
Number of students is limited (5-10 students in a group).