Trends and Problems of Modern Society (KSK_236)
To extend students’ knowledge of the trends in the contemporary society in general and in certain areas of the society: employment, family life, education, etc., using the research and statistical data about Latvia and other European and world countries to characterize the changes in trends.
• Knowledge of contemporary society, its values, national development models and global changes taking place in modern societies and their impact on various areas of the society: family, employment, education.
• Knowledge of statistical and research data and sources used for assessment of the society and comparative analysis.
• Understanding of the trends in societal changes and the main challenges related to ageing society, social inclusion and social inequality.
• Describe and identify social processes and social problems occurring in Latvia and worldwide on the basis of statistical and social research data.
• Critically analyse, explain and discuss in a reasoned way factor relationships (correlations) or causal relationships (causality) observed in the research.
Selection of data sources and methods suitable for assessment of modern society, for analysis of the impact of ongoing social processes and problems in various areas of social life and for interpretation of the obtained results both in Latvia and globally.