Doctors Safe Train
Practical training in a real-life setting
The foundation Doctors Safe Train was established in 2013 jointly by two Latvian universities – the Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU) and the Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies (LLU).
The words 'doctors safe train' indicate that the training of the staff should be safe, without harm to patients – in conditions that imitate real activities in the operation room, using live tissues. When medical professionals start working in a hospital, they are supposed to be trained so well that all stages of various manipulations and operations are performed without a hitch.
- To promote the maturity of medical students' and professionals' (doctors, veterinarians, nurses, etc.) theoretical and practical knowledge so that any participant of the course is able to apply their newly acquired or improved knowledge to their everyday work with confidence and as safely as possible, without any harm to patients;
- To introduce the newest and most up-to-date equipment and technologies first in pre-clinical and subsequently in clinical practice;
- To elaborate techniques and technologies of new and modern manipulations and operations.
- To carry out student training during the pre-clinical stage of their studies in real-life conditions so that residents can work in an operation room: assisting the surgeon and performing manipulations and operations independently in the presence of a teacher;
- To promote the improvement of medical professionals’ theoretical and practical skills, and their mutual synthesis;
- To build up medical professionals’ confidence in their skills, as well as respect and responsibility for patients' tissue when training on live tissues;
- To attract manufacturers of medical instruments and equipment during the studies, thus allowing the participants of the courses to use the newest, state-of-the-art equipment, medical appliances and other instruments;
- To test and implement techniques and technologies of new and modern manipulations and operations;
- To perform research work.
Our study programmes
We offer study programmes under conditions that resemble a real-life situation as much as possible (on live tissue).
|Course name||Short description||Number of days||Number of course participants|
|Laparoscopic surgery||Practical manipulations: laparoscopic cholecystectomy, laparoscopic anterior rectosigmoidectomy, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, laparoscopic colorectal surgery, complications and their elimination.||2||10–12|
|Laparoscopic surgery||Inguinal hernia surgery||1||8–16|
|Paediatric Laparoscopic Surgery||Practical manipulations: cholecystectomy, intestinal anastomosis, diaphragmatic hernia, pyeloplasty, gastrostomy, hemisplenectomy / splenectomy, fundoplication, inguinal hernia, nephrectomy and procedures for vesicoureteral reflux.||2||10–12|
|Laparoscopic Gynaecology||Anatomy of the pelvis (uropoetic system and bowel anatomy for operating gynecologists).|
Practical training on laparoscopic suturing. Practical manipulations: the principles of urether dissection, bladder dissection; imitation, diagnostics and treatment of injuries, elimination of intestine damage.
|Injury of thoracic and abdominal cavities||Care of polytrauma patients, bleeding control, haemostasis, diagnostic and therapeutic algorithms, pneumothorax, hydrothorax, lung and diaphragm traumatic lesions. Gunshot and stab wounds.||1||6–10|
|Injury of parenchymal organs of the abdominal cavity with DSTC elements|
(defective surgical trauma care)
|Practical manipulations: laparotomy, inspection of the abdomen in case of polytrauma, liver trauma, Pringle manoeuvre, suturing in case of liver damage, spleen injuries (tactics), visceral rotation according to Kocher’s manoeuvre, left-sided visceral rotation, intestine injuries. Mechanical staplers, haemostatic agents and fibrin glue.||1||6–10|
|Anaesthesiology||In their daily practice anaesthesiologists conduct high-risk procedures in the operating room, especially if it concerns critical and serious patients of the intensive care units. Complications due to such procedures may increase morbidity and mortality in patients. Therefore it is necessary to simulate high-risk procedures on live tissues in order to get the student adapted to the real situation (intubation, arterial and venous access, intubation, management of the anesthesia, thoracostomy, etc.).||1||6–10|
|Endoscopy of the digestive tract and bronchoscopy||Understanding the technique of manipulation and its essence requires theoretical and practical skills and practice. Initially, training is conducted on a special simulators and trainers which serve as a substitute for live tissues. However, in order to supplement the skills and to avoid complications of the procedure such as papillotomy, it is necessary to use simulation on live tissues. Classes are conducted under the guidance of an expert physician-endoscopist. Each participant is given an opportunity to independently and responsibly practice all the manipulations and methods of treatment and diagnostics described in the programme.||1||15|
|Pediatrics||The aim of the course is to master the techniques of various manipulations necessary to maintain minimal practical speciality skills: venipuncture and artery puncture, pleural puncture, direct cardiac massage, training on live tissues.||1||6–10|
|Surgery for general practitioners||Surgery in outpatient clinic. The programme is intended for general practitioners who are interested in surgical manipulations which can be performed in their ambulance or private practice. Program consists of theoretical and practical part on live tissues (peripheral vena puncture, suturing, local anesthesia, puncturing of pleural cavity, etc.).||1||10|
Treatment of endovascular stroke and aneurisms
|Training is provided by a team of radiologists with operation experience over 10 years and 500 operations.|
Teaching of theoretical and practical aspects of the disease. Analysis of diagnostics and therapy. Practical thrombectomy and coiling of the aneurysms on live tissue.
|Conventional abdominal surgery|
For 1st–2nd year residents
|Operation room, surgeon's and patient's preparation for the operation, preparation of manipulations table, operation gowns and linen, hand scrub and skin antisepsis. Local anaesthesia. Various wounds, selection of operation incisions, sutures. Orientation in abdominal cavity. Bowel anastomosis, knotting and tying techniques, holecistectomy, splenectomy, fundoplication. Application of hemostatic materials for hemostasis.||1||8|
For 1st–2nd year residents
|Laparoscopical equipment, start of the operation, port insertion, visualization of abdominal cavity, knotting and tying techniques. Holecistectomy, splenectomy. Application of hemostatic materials for hemostasis.||1||8|
|Conventional abdominal surgery|
For 3rd–5th year residents
|Surgeon's and patient's preparation for the operation, preparation of manipulations table. Selection of the proper operation incision. Orientation in abdominal cavity and organ inspection. Gastric and bowel resection, anastomosis. Holecistectomy, splenectomy, fundoplication. Iatrogenic blood vessel injury and suturing.||1||8|
For 3rd–5th year residents
|Holecistectomy, partial and total splenectomy. Bowel resection, anastomosis. Application of hemostatic materials for hemostasis.||1||8|
For residents in traumatology and orthopedics
|Bone external fixation||1||8|
|Basic course in surgery for students|
Medical Education Technology Centre
26a Anniņmuižas bulvāris, Rīga
Classes on live tissues
Faculty of Veterinary in the University Life Sciences and Technologies, Kristapa Helmana Str. 8, Jelgava, Latvia
|We propose to acquire skills in surgery in order to get ready for the work in conditions equivalent to real life situation: Operating equipment, sterility, preparation of manipulations table, proper choice of surgical instruments, preparing patients to undergo surgery, patient's position on the operation table. Wounds and their closure. Local anaesthesia. Knotting and tying techniques.|
Surgeon's and patient's preparation for the operation, preparation of manipulations table, operation gowns and linen, hand scrub and skin antisepsis. Local anaesthesia. Various operation incisions and sutures. Knotting and tying techniques.
|Summer School in Surgery for students||We offer a possibility to acquire theoretical and practical skills under conditions equivalent to a real surgical procedure. During the course students will be able to get acquainted with proceedings in the operation room, perform various manipulations and understand the stages of surgery.|
Day 1: Wounds and their closure. Tying and knotting techniques
Day 2: Various operation incisions and their closure
Day 3: Tracheostomy, thoracostomy, orientation in abdominal cavity
Day 4: Discussions and excursions
- Modern operation rooms that allow working on live tissues in real life conditions;
- To attract highly qualified and leading experts from Latvia and other EU countries;
- An individual approach to every participant of the course (during practical classes there is an expert at each operation table who individually shows and explains the technique of applicable manipulations);
- The organisation and implementation of research work (projects).
Possibilities in our centre
- What is available to the participants of training courses?
Thematic workshops simulating real-life conditions. During the workshops students acquire theoretical and practical knowledge. We provide the possibility to train using modern operation equipment, simulators and narcotised live tissues. The training process is carried out under the supervision of highly qualified experts - industry professionals from Latvian, Baltic and European hospitals. The contents of the courses allow working in the fields of laparoscopic surgery, minimally invasive paediatric surgery, traumatic surgery, traumatology orthopaedics, gynaecology, invasive radiology etc., starting from the basic course onwards.
- Operation training for chief physician of the clinic department and his team
The chief physician of the clinic department and his team work in real life-like training sessions to consolidate the job skills of his team. Training is intended to improve and replicate complex operative skills, as well as to consolidate acquired knowledge. We provide the possibility to work in a modern operation room, to use narcotised or a vital live tissues, and life-like tissue models.
- Workshops in compliance with the customer's programme
For manufacturers or distributors of product, it is important that potential and existing customers are able to work with it, while your employees can present it to customers. We will help you to arrange and, if necessary, lead a training course in compliance with the customer’s programme.
- Training for a product user (master of new products, new surgical methods)
Complex training to master new products and surgical methods, by using substitute models of patients (live tissues and substitute tissues).
- Work environment
Modern operation rooms with clinical equipment required to ensure appropriate manipulations and further education of doctors and medical staff.
Research laboratory and vivarium with modern equipment where it is possible to carry out scientific research without hindrance.
- Language of the training
Training is carried out in Latvian, Russian and English.
- Set of services
- Planning of workshops or courses
- Provision of speakers
- Notification of participants
- Organisation of centres for continuing education in collaboration with medical association of the respective speciality
- Provision of equipment and materials to be used in work
- Organisation of recreation breaks between the courses
- Planning of the course in compliance with the legal legislation and ethical aspects
- Additional offers
- The most advantageous flight to Riga
- Senior year medical students and residents
In collaboration with the Faculty of Continuing Education, the Faculty of Medicine and the International Student Department of RSU, we provide programmes of practical classes on live tissues and substitute tissues for medical students and residents
- Summer school
Training in our summer school allows mastering new skills and improving the existing ones.
If you want to have a break from daily rush and dedicate yourself to thorough acquisition of training content, you should not forget about some leisure time before or after a day of intense studies. According to your request and wishes, we offer active, cultural or meal breaks, to allow your mind and body to relax, and to commence the next training day fully replenished. If you come together with your family and wish to extend your stay here, we will offer a suitable programme for various activities with your family.
Authorised representatives and experts of the Fund