Tuition fee discounts
To promote academic excellence and expand the diversity of the student community at RSU, the Tuition Fee Regulation sets out the following tuition fee categories for students of the International Student Department.
- 1. Academic excellence
Discount No. of recipients Main criteria Applicants 25 % of the semester fee 40 students Highest average grade in the previous semesters, minimum average grade: 8.500 3rd to 6th year students
- Based on the weighted average grade of the final assessments in the study courses of the previous semester (taking into account three decimal places), excluding elective study courses
- In case of obtaining equal grades, the granting of the discount is determined by a draw procedure
- The application procedure for the discount is not required, it is granted automatically
- 2. Social support
Discount No.of recipients Main criteria Applicants 10 % of the semester fee 5 students The supporting documents that prove the necessity of financial support are required. 2nd to 6th year students
- 3. Family members
Discount No. of recipients Main criteria Applicants 5 % of the semester fee unlimited Discount for International students’ family members who are studying at RSU. 2nd to 6th year students
- The discount is granted on the grounds of RSU student’s presented documents that certify kinship of the following relatives– mother, father, siblings, half-sisters and half-brothers, who are studying at RSU for their private financial resources
- In the case of several relatives concerned, the present discount shall not be applied to the first of the relatives who commenced studies
- When submitting copies of documents identifying another person, e. g. Relative's birth certificate, etc., the signature of this Relative with a transcript and a handwritten statement of the Relative confirming the consent of this Relative to submit the specific document containing his or her personal data to RSU for the processing of personal data, is required
- Based on the financial possibilities, the Committee may determine the number of students to be granted a discount
- 4. RSU recognition enhancement
Discount No. of recipients Main criteria 5 % of the semester fee 7 students Discount for the participation in the public life of RSU and events promoting the recognition of RSU.
The following achievements and merits are assessed and should be proved by the documents (certificates, diplomas and etc.):
- an award-winning place or a written recognition of a coach/head in a local or international sports or cultural competitions;
- award or participation in student scientific research conference – competition;
- presentation at an international and local scientific conference (with a poster presentation or an oral presentation;
- scientific articles in peer-reviewed publications published in Latvia and abroad;
- EPO, USPTO, JPO and EA patents;
- Patents registered in the Patent Office of the Republic of Latvia;
The participation in the next RSU events and activities that aim at RSU public life and development are evaluated:
- participation in the organisation of the RSU student scientific conference;
- participation in the organisation of the RSU scientific conference;
- contribution to the promotion of RSU clinical training in foreign clinics;
- organisation of events organised by SU and ISA;
- leading of RSU scientific and other interest groups;
- participation with a presentation in RSU scientific interest groups.
In order to have your application reviewed, there are some general rules to be considered for the tuition fee discount:
- Applications for Tuition fee discounts are only accepted when submitted during the application period – announced every semester in MyRSU portal;
- Applications are only considered when submitted with an official application form (with supporting documents – if required) and registered at Student Services (K-100) (Exception: for Academic Excellence the application procedure for the discount is not required, it is granted automatically);
- Tuition fee discounts are available only to students of the International Student Department and Study programmes “Medicine”, “Dentistry”, “Pharmacy”, “Physiotherapy”, “Nursing” and “Occupational Therapy”;
- The discounts are not granted in the following situations:
- The International students are re-studying one or more study courses;
- International students have tuition fee debts;
- The student has been reprimanded less than one year ago;
- For previous study semesters.
- The tuition fee discount is only applied to tuition fees paid for regular studies (fees paid for Open University or other services are not included);
- The submitted applications for tuition fee discounts are evaluated by the Tuition Fee Committee;
- If the supporting document is not available in English, the student should provide an English translation of the document, for the Committee to understand its contents;
- Each student can apply for tuition fee discounts for an unlimited number of semesters, as long as the student meets the discount requirements.
- The discount is granted for one study semester.
- The committee may lay down additional or clarifying requirements.
- If an International student is on academic leave and the granted discount period has not expired yet, the granted discount period is postponed to the time when the student resumes the studies at RSU.
- If the student corresponds to several categories of granting discounts, he/she can receive only one discount– according to the International student's own choice.