Institute of Anatomy and Anthropology
The Institute of Anatomy and Anthropology (IAA) at Rīga Stradiņš University (RSU), or the Theatrum Anatomicum, is the place where future physicians are forged; it is an essential stop on the road to becoming a physician. This is the place where the dead help the living, Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet, sucurrere vitae. The Theatrum Anatomicum is located in the former Greek Orthodox Seminary built between 1877 and 1879 and built according to the design of Baltic-German architect and academic Heinrich Karl Scheel (1829 –1909).
The IAA was established in late 1997 and documentation on its first activities were compiled and printed in the Institute of Anatomy and Anthropology publication of the Latvian Academy of Medicine/Rīga Stradiņš University in 2002.
The IAA is a structural unit of RSU without a separate legal personality operating in the fields of academics, research and medical diagnostics.
Main goals and objectives
- To ensure an integrated implementation of study programmes in anatomy, medical cell biology, histology, embryology and anthropology, as well as in morphological aspects of clinical subjects;
- To provide high-quality education in medical cell biology, anatomy, histology, embryology, and anthropology;
- To conduct morphological and anthropological research on humans;
- To perform morphological and anthropological clinical diagnostics and develop standards;
- To develop and approbate new research methods;
- To study the history of anatomy, medical cell biology, histology, embryology and anthropology sciences, as well as to take practical measures for preservation of evidence.
- Implement a study process – lectures, seminars, practical classes, preparation of methodical training materials;
- Improve the content, materials and technical aspects of the didactic process of medical education;
- Implement research projects and provide support to research conducted by students at all study levels – diploma studies, graduate, post-graduate;
- Collect, study and display anatomical and embryological exhibits of the institute in exhibitions on this century’s legacy and historical materials in line with the institute's profile;
- Maintain and extend the material base required for morphological and anthropological studies and develop qualified personnel;
- Organise conferences, seminars, symposia and other events;
- Exchange creative experience with other RSU structural units as well as educational, therapeutic and scientific institutions in Latvia and abroad;
- Coordinate the institute’s activities with associated research projects and science directions in Latvia;
- Regularly present the institute's research results at international and local scientific conferences, as well as publish reserach in scientific magazines and internationally referenced databases;
- Inform the public about the institute's activities in the mass media, attract new students, organise excursions to the various expositions at AAI for general and specialised secondary schools and gymnasiums.
- History and traditions
The time period between 2002 and 2016 brought winds of change to the old and stately Theatrum Anatomicum building. Certain traditions and practices have taken root in the everyday life of the RSU IAA, even though some of them might be considered unconventional.
One such thing has been to re-establish contact with the relatives of Swedish Professor Gaston Backman. The professor was invited to Latvia in 1920 and adapted the Theatrum Anatomicum to the needs of the growing medical staff. In Prof. Backman’s family, only one of this two brothers, Pierre, had children. Like his brothers, Pierre was also fond of Latvia and, being a journalist, wrote a lot about it. His daughter Christine and her children and grandchildren live in Sweden. The Director of IAA was able to get in touch with Christine Backman in Uppsala, Sweden. Christine attended the international conference devoted to the 120th anniversary of Prof. Backman in 2003 together with her granddaughter, Anna Backman Klein. Since then an oil portrait of a young Gaston Backman and his original diploma signed by King Gustaf V of Sweden hang the IAA director’s office.
An important tradition that has been introduced is a commemorative service and the creation of a final resting place in Mārtiņa Kapi (the Martin Cemetery) for people who have dedicated their lives to academia and science (the image below depicts the monument in Mārtiņa Kapi).
The idea for the monument was born at IAA and was supported by the university. A granite monument decorates the grave at Mārtiņa Kapi since 2016. The monument bears an inscription in both Latin and Latvian:
Requiem aeternam dona eis,
Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis!
In perpetuam memoriam,
Rīga Stradiņš University
Eternal rest, grant unto them,
And let perpetual light shine upon them!
In perpetual memory,
Rīga Stradiņš University
The Theatrum Anatomicum Museum is located in the building of the institute. The museum contains exhibits of organs and tissue donated by various Latvian hospitals, a collection of personal belongings that once belonged to professors Pēteris Gērke, Jānis Eglītis, and Irma Liepiņa-Eglītis, a small collection of micropreparations that reflects changes in the preparation of micropreparations over the century, and a collection of microscopes. The restored collection was opened on 31 January 2003. See the Theatrum Anatomicum Museum website for more information.
The Theatrum Anatomicum hosts book presentations for publications related to medicine: the Latvian translation of Hippocrates’ Hippocratic Writings was presented on 3 December 2003; Latviešu kauli (Latvian Bones) by Kārlis Arājs was presented on 3 February 2006; Medicīniskā embrioloģija (Medical Embryology) by Prof. Māra Pilmane and Gert-Horst Schumacher was presented on 3 October 2006.
The Institute of Anatomy and Anthropology has prioritised reviving the Baltic Morphology conferences since Latvia regained its independence. The first such conference which was attended by 24 international delegates and was held in December 2003. There have been eight conferences since then, of which the institute organised two (in 2007 and 2013).
- Past activities
- 28 February 2002 – Scientific conference of the Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education of the University of Latvia within the framework of the 60th annual conference of the University of Latvia (organised by Prof. Māra Pilmane)
- 3–4 October 2003 – International conference dedicated to the 120th anniversary of G. Bakman, which was the first Baltic Morphology Conference in 12 years of independence with the participation of 24 international peers (organised by Prof. Māra Pilmane)
- 5 December 2003 – International conference Oxidative Stress-Antioxidants-Therapeutic Possibilities, in cooperation with the Finnish Society of Biomedical Engineering (organised by Prof. Māra Pilmane)
- May 19 - 21, 2005 – 15th annual scientific conference of the European Neuropeptide Club (chair: Prof. Māra Pilmane)
- 17 June 2005 – V Action Committee of the Latvian Congress of Physicians, Classic and Modern Morphology meeting dedicated to Prof. Jēkabs Prīmanis (organised by Prof. Māra Pilmane)
- 9-10 September 2005 – “The 4th vaccination day” organising committee of the Conference of Baltic countries (Prof. Māra Pilmane)
- 19-20 November 2007 – Scientific conference of the IV Baltic Morphology scientific meeting, (chair: Prof. Māra Pilmane; organising committee: Prof. Jānis Vētra, Assoc. Prof. Silvija Umbraško, Ilva Duļevska)
- 20 June 2009 – “Human microscopic and macroscopic structure research prospects” meeting devoted to morphology organised within the framework of the Latvian Congress of Physicians (Prof. Māra Pilmane)
- 12-29 May 2009 – The Division of Chemical, Biological and Medical Sciences of the Latvian Academy of Sciences meetings devoted to the biological properties of bones and biomaterial implants in supportive tissues (organised by Prof. Māra Pilmane)
- 2 February 2010 – Academic afternoon devoted to the 90th anniversary of higher medical education in Latvia (organised by Prof. Māra Pilmane)
- 7-9 November 2013 – VII Baltic Morphology Conference “Morphological sciences in experimental and clinical medicine” (chair: Prof. Māra Pilmane; organising committee: Assoc. Prof. Dzintra Kažoka)
- 24-26 May 2013 – “Update in Use of Imaging Techniques in Regional Anaesthesia, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care Medicine” conference in Riga (organised by Edgars Vasiļevskis)
- 19-20 October 2013 – 1st Latvian Conference of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 3rd International Conference on Image Medicine, round table discussion for physicians on the cooperation between Latvian and Chinese scientists (organised by Edgars Vasiļevskis)
- Unique equipment
The Institute of Anatomy and Anthropology has an EXACT Grunding special cutting device for very hard tissues, an Anatomage virtual autopsy table, preparations by Gunther von Hagens, microscopy classrooms with demonstration systems, multi-head microscopes, specialised research microscopes and two electron microscopes by Joel (JEM-1011, JSM-6490LV).
The institute also has access to unique visual learning aids, which are essential in ensuring and supplementing medical study courses. The aids adhere to the latest industry technologies.
The Anatomage table is a virtual dissection table that can be transported on wheels, and offers visualisation with mainly duplex full-colour touchscreen. It ensures a full volume/scale display of the human body in very fine detail. The table ensures demonstration of processes in real time, and show at least three cases simultaneously. The table also contains an internal library for 100 special pathological cases.
The IAA has about 180 microscopes for student produced by Leica, Nikon and Optika. The institute is also equipped with two Leica multi-head microscopes.
The institute also has four Leica research microscopes, which use reflected light or fluorescence, stereo or inverted light microscopy method (Leica DM6000 B, or Leica LEITZ DM RB, Leica MZ16A, Leica DMI 4000B).
12 rooms at the institute are equipped with interactive Epson projectors and powerful Dell computers for presentations and the demonstration of microscopic preparations. Some auditoriums have wireless Sennheiser transmitters that ensure loud and clear audio, as well as demonstration touch panels.
The institute has two Joel electron microscopes, a transmission electron microscope and a scanning electron microscope, that are located in the Joint Laboratory of Electron Microscopy. These microscopes always attract interest, both from students and at public events.
- Doctoral theses 2002–2019
Prof. Māra Pilmane (mentor to 26, scientific adviser to one)
- Ilva Duļevska. Characteristics of morphological changes in Latvian girls in the 20th century. Dr med (16 April 2003)
- Regīna Tamane. Expression of corpus luteum hormones in livestock during cycle and pregnancy. Dr med vet (30 January 2004)
- Dzintars Mozgis. Complex diagnostics and surgical treatment of anomalies in the human anorectal region. Dr med (17 June 2004)
- Aurika Babjoniševa. IMH and RIH studies of VIP and P substance in asthmatics. Prize-winner of the scientific conference of 2005 of the European Neuropeptide Club. Dr med (19 October 2007)
- Zane Ābola. Combination of complex clinical and morphopathogenetic studies of oesophageal atresia in the selection of surgical treatment technique. Dr med (06 December 2007)
- Anda Valdovska. Effect of pathogenic fungi of mink feed on mink morphopathology. Dr med vet (04 June 2008)
- Māra Rone. Clinical and morphopathogenetic studies of Rosacea. Dr med (16 December 2008)
- Ize Šalma. Reactogenicity of synthetic calcium phosphate bioceramic materials after experimental implantation in the oral and maxillofacial region. Dr med (21 September 2009)
- Anita Oginska. Longitudinal study of Latvian new-borns in 2004-2006. Dr med (28.09 September 2009)
- Benita Krivicka-Užkurele. Immunohistochemical study of growth, regeneration and quality markers in pathogenesis and diagnostics of congenital facial clefts. Dr med (28 June 2010)
- Ilga Šematoviča. Morphofunctional changes in bovine uterus in different time periods after calving. Dr med vet (30 June 2010)
- Kaspars Stāmers. Ischaemic disease of salivary glands. Dr med (29 December 2010)
- Zane Lauriņa. Association of gene/transcription and growth factors with periodontal pathologies. Dr med (09 March 2011)
- Iveta Jankovska. Growth factors in pathogenesis and remodelling process of orthognathic anomalies after mandibular osteotomies. Dr med (23 February 2011)
- Olafs Volrāts. Development of spleen sparing surgical tactics for children with portal hypertension syndrome and haematological diseases, to prevent the occurrence of post-splenectomy sepsis. Dr med (15 December 2011)
- Anna Miskova. Distribution of growth factors and genes in tissues of a human embryo in trimester I in different cases of implantation. Dr med (15 October 2012)
- Arta Bārzdiņa. Evaluation of different therapeutic models of head injuries in children. Dr med (04 September 2013)
- Ģirts Šalms. Integration of bone tissue substitution biomaterials in the posterior part of an atrophic upper jaw. Dr med (21 October 2013)
- Ilze Kreicberga. Characteristics of molecular processes in placentas of different ages of gestation. Dr med (19 May 2014)
- Māris Gržibovskis. Qualitative assessment of specific signal molecules in the alveolar bone and periodontal tissues in different age groups. Dr med (22 May 2015)
- Olga Zaikovska. Changes in the functional unit of nail in onychomycosis patients. Dr med (01 June 2015)
- Elga Sidhoma. Morphological characteristics of the local skin protection system in psoriasis patients. Dr med (02 October 2015)
- Jolanta Vamze. Characteristics of reactogenicity in distant time periods after implantation of bone tissue substitution biomaterials. Dr med (08 July 2016)
- Aigars Reinis. Determination of adhesion and colonisation intensity of Staphylococcus epidermidis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa on the surface of originally synthesised biomaterials in in vitro and in vivo studies and their impact on expression of inflammatory cytokines in tissues. Dr med (07 November 2016), Prof. Māra Pilmane as scientific adviser.
- Liene Smane. Functional morphology of tissues in children with bilateral lip, alveolar growth and palate clefts in the ontogenetic aspect. Dr med (09 December 2016)
Gunta Sumeraga. The Role of Neuropeptides and Neurogenic Inflammation in the Isolated Postnasal Drip Syndrome. Dr med (10 January 2018)
Anna Junga. The complex morphopathogenetic aspects of intraabdominal adhesions development and course in infants. Dr med (8 November 2019)
Valērija Groma (mentor to all 3 theses)
- Anna Ivanova. Clinical and morphological study of salivary glands and oronasopharyngeal tumours, analysis of the role of herpes group viruses in the malignant process. Dr med. (11 November 2013)
- Sandra Skuja. Morphological study of CNS changes caused by alcohol and drugs. (06 October 2014)
Ilze Upeniece. Investigation of pathogenetic mechanisms in various cutaneous lichen planus clinical morphological subtypes. Dr med (25 September 2018)
Jānis Vētra (mentor to all theses below)
- Ilva Duļevska. Characteristics of morphological changes in Latvian girls in the 20th century. Dr med (16 April 2003)
- Vladimirs Skļarēvičs. Factors affecting changes in the height of hollow foot in preschool age children. Dr med (17 December 2003)
- Silvija Umbraško. Evaluation of posture and foot parameters in pupils as an indicator of physical development at the turn of the century. Dr med (17 March 2006)
- Dzintra Kažoka. Evaluation of the biological status of a woman in Latvia. Dr med (25 February 2009)
- Simonas Gribauskas. Craniofacial morphology of medieval and modern human populations in the territories of Latvia and Lithuania. Dr med (05 June 2009)
- Ilze Šalma. Reactogenicity of synthetic calcium phosphate bioceramic materials after experimental implantation in the oral and maxillofacial region. Dr med (21 September 2009)
- Anita Oginska. Longitudinal study of Latvian new-borns in 2004-2006. Dr med (28 September 2009)
- Zeltīte Cēderštrēma. Evaluation of physical development of Latvian boys in the context of centennial changes. Dr med (24 February 2010)
- Armen Gabrieljanc. The phenomenon of euthanasia in terms of the criminal legal, criminological and medical biological terms. Dr med (06 June 2014)
- Oksana Koļesova. Morphology of pelvis in the modern Latvian population. Dr med (06 October 2014)
- Artūrs Utināns. Interaction between magical and critical thinking in students of the Faculty of Medicine. Dr med (02 November 2015)
- Aigars Reinis. Microbial contamination of biomaterials. This causes and consequences in in vivo and in vitro studies. Dr med (07 November 2016)
Ilva Duļevska (mentor)
- Zeltīte Cederštrēma. Evaluation of physical development of Latvian boys in the context of centennial changes. Dr med (24 February 2010)
- Scientific projects and contract work 2002–2019
Prof. Māra Pilmane
International projects: 2
- Joint project with the Örebro University in Sweden on morphopathogenesis of cystic fibrosis patients, 2010–2014 (supervisor: G. Rūmanss, researcher: M. Pilmane)
- ERA-NET Financed by FP6 Matera 2011 Sonochemical technology for bioactive bone regeneration scaffold product (collaboration between Latvia, Israel, Poland) (supervisor on behalf of RSU: M. Pilmane) 2011–2014
Projects of the Latvian Council of Science, Latvian Academy of Sciences, state and national programmes: 23
- RSU project ZP 01/2013 032 Longitudinal study of morphopathogenesis of clefts (supervisor: M. Pilmane, researcher: E. Sidhoma) 2013–2016
- RSU project, Study of clinical and molecular properties of malignant cervical tumours aimed at improving early diagnostics and treatment strategies, 01.–06.2017 (supervisor: D. Rezeberga, adviser: M. Pilmane)
- Morphopathogenetic study of human embryo structures unfit for implantation and abnormal implantation in prevention of female infertility, 2009–2012 (supervisor: M. Pilmane)
Ontogenetic spectrophotomorphometric studies of bronchial wall supporting tissues in CNPD patients, No. 93915, 1993–1995 (supervisor: M. Pilmane)
- Neuropeptides in pathogenesis of bronchial asthma, 01.0354, 2001–2003 (supervisor: M. Pilmane)
- Growth, regeneration and quality markers in pathogenesis, diagnostics and therapy prognosis of congenital facial clefts, 04.1214, 2004–2008 (supervisor: M. Pilmane)
- Leader of the national programme ERDF project “On modernisation of the scientific infrastructure of RSU” from 18.03.2005–01.03.2006
National Research Programme “Development of modern functional materials for microelectronics, nanoelectronics, photonics, biomedicine and constructional composites, as well as respective technologies” (supervisor: A. Šternbergs) project “Advanced biomaterials and medical technologies” (supervisor: L. Bērziņa-Cimdiņa, researcher: M. Pilmane)
- Participation in PHARE 2003 project preparation of the technical specification “Riga Biomaterials Innovation and Development Centre” project of component 1 Promotion of innovative business and applied research infrastructure development (budget line) 2003/004-979-06-03 of the National Programme Economic and social cohesion events in Latvia; purchasing and installation of a scanning and transmission electron microscope at Kronvalda bulvāris 9
- Project of the Ministry of Education and Science, supervisor: M.Pilmane from 2005, Determination of different growth factors and Ca2+ metabolism in bone tissue and nervous system at stages of early embryogenesis and experimental study of changes in phenotype in the process of formation of development anomalies; from 2007 the project was included as sub-project in the project of the Ministry of Education and Science Study of factors causing mortality and disability in children due to the development of new diagnostic, treatment and preventive measures for the improvement of health of children in Latvia, 2007–2008 (supervisor: D. Gardovska, researcher: M. Pilmane)
- Work of the leading researcher also in the project of the Ministry of Education and Science led by A. Eņģelis, later in the subproject “Pathologies of gallbladder and bile ducts for the creation of surgical treatment guidelines” (2005–2006; included in the large project 2007–2008)
- National Research Programme N 9 “Innovative technologies for the acquisition of high-value, safe and healthy food from genetically, physiologically and biochemically diverse plant and animal raw materials”, Project No. 4 “Study of genetical, physiological and biochemical signs of animals for the acquisition of high-quality, healthy and safe food of animal origin”, 2007–2010 (supervisor: A.Jemeļjanovs, performer: M. Pilmane)
- National research programme Scientific study of the major pathologies threatening life expectancy and quality of life of Latvian population with the aid of multidisciplinary research consortium, project No. 6 “Development of algorithms of diagnostics and treatment of congenital pathologies based on modern technologies for the reduction of mortality, extension of life expectancy and improvement of the quality of life in sick children”, 2006–2010 (project supervisor: A. Pētersons, main researcher: M. Pilmane)
- National research programme Scientific study of the major pathologies threatening life expectancy and quality of life of Latvian population with the aid of multidisciplinary research consortium, project No. 10 “Blood-transmitted viral infections affecting human life expectancy: persistence of viruses in a patient’s body. Diagnostics and treatment paradigms”, 2008–2009 (supervisor: L. Vīksna, main researcher: M. Pilmane)
- ESF/RTU European Union Programme “Human Resources and Employment”, project Multidisciplinary study of a group of young scientists for the development of biomaterial technologies No. 2009/0199/1DP/220.127.116.11.0/09/APIA/VIAA/090, PVS ID 1380, 2010–2012 (supervisor: L. Bērziņa-Cimdiņa, main researcher: M. Pilmane) EEZ09AP-22/4 project Determination of interior pollution caused by technical equipment in offices and evaluation of its potential impact on the body, main researcher (researcher: M. Ā. Baķe), 2010
- National research programme Development of new prevention, treatment, diagnostic tools and methods, biomedical technologies to improve public health, project No. 8 “Clinical, molecular biological and morphofunctional study of prognosis, diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired child age diseases, 2010–2012 (subproject 8.1) (supervisor: A. Pētersons, main researcher: M. Pilmane)
- National research programme Development of innovative multifunctional materials, signal processing and information technologies for competitive science-intensive products, project No. 4 “New materials and technologies for the evaluation and substitution of biological tissues” (subproject 4.5), 2010–2014 (supervisor: A. Skaģers, main researcher: M. Pilmane)
- ERDF project No.2DP/18.104.22.168.0/10/APIA/VIAA/099 “Development of new feeds to increase productivity and competitiveness of pig-breeding and poultry farming”, agreement 2010/0226/2DP/22.214.171.124.0/10/ APIA/VIAA/099, 2010–2013 (supervisor: A. Jemeļjanovs, researcher: M. Pilmane)
- ERDF project/RSU Development of a natural immune modulator with antibacterial effect for treatment and prevention of mastitis in cows (supervisor: A. Valdovska, advisor: M. Pilmane), from 1 August 2014 to 1 August 2015
- ERDF/RTU project “Attraction of a group of young scientists for synergic study for the development of bone tissue regenerating nanostructured composite materials”, 01.09.2014–01.08.2015 (supervisor: K. Šalma-Ancāne, advisor: M. Pilmane)
- National research programme Multifunctional materials and composites, photonics and nanotechnologies (IMIS2) project, Nanomaterials and nanotechnology for medical application subproject 3.4.2, 2014–2018 (supervisor: I. Šalma, carried out by: M. Pilmane)
- Internal RSU project - Development of an algorithm for diagnostic prognostic factors of tissue complex regeneration in patients with facial cleft in a longitudinal aspect, 2019-2020, project manager: Māra Pilmane
Participation in research projects of the Latvian Council of Science and the Ministry of Education and Science (as the main researcher – main performer) or performer (researcher): 14
- Project of the Ministry of Education and Science ES 04-48 For EU COST B-23 Oral facial development and regeneration, 2005, supervisor: A. Skaģers, researcher M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 04.1224 “Immunohistological and electron microscopic study of cell morphological adaptation processes in experimental animals after implantation of calcium phosphate bioceramic materials into the jaw”, 2004-2007, supervisor: A.Skaģers, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 05.1854 “Morphofunctional, biomechanical and histochemical studies of oesophageal and stomach walls in patients of different ages after operations on upper digestive tract diseases”, 2005-2009, supervisor: I. Ozolanta, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 01.0112 “Impact of destructive etiopathogenetic processes on physiological processes and products of animal body”, 2001-2004, supervisor: J.Blūzmanis, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- “Emergency diagnosing of bovine spongiform encephalopathy and non-contagious encephalopathy and development of a prophylactic complex, 2001-2002, supervisor: A. Jemeļjanovs, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 01.0145 “Creation of the algorithm of diagnostics of inflammatory diseases of the intestinal tract”, 2001-2004, supervisor: A. Eņģelis, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 01.0206 “Possibilities of mobilisation of the endogenic protective system of the body in the prevention and treatment of complications of the ischaemic heart disease”, 2001-2004, supervisor: M. Vēveris, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 03.0994 “Anatomical, histochemical, biomechanical study of the structure of upper airways of people of different ages with surgical bronchial and pulmonary diseases in correlation with the local and general immunological condition for the development of a diagnostic therapeutic algorithm in pulmonology”, 2003-2006, supervisor: A. Pētersons, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 01.0363 “Late results of oesophageal strictures”, 2001-2003, supervisor: L. Sosāre, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 05.1854 “Morphofunctional, biomechanical and histochemical studies of oesophageal and stomach walls in people of different ages with surgical upper digestive tract diseases”, 2008, supervisor: G. Ambalovs, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 05.1367 “Investigation of morphofunctional changes of digestive tract and its innervation systems, organism biochemical imbalance, correlative analysis of the use of these indexes in diagnosis and prophylaxis of animal diseases” supervisor: I. Zītare, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Ministry of Education and Science “Use of modern immunohistochemical methods in the development diagnostic and prognostic criteria of infectious diseases in animals”, 2006, supervisor: A. Jemeļjanovs, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 09.1408, Radiological and immunohistochemical study of bone tissue and soft tissues in maxillofacial deformations, supervisor: I.Urtāne, 2009-2012, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 08.2201, later 09.1401 Complex morphopathogenetic aspects of the formation and progress of adhesions in ontogenesis, 2009-2012, supervisor: J. Vētra, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- XP-128, 2008, “Comparative studies of morphofunctional changes in the digestive tract of ruminants, milk cows and wild deer, depending on the taken feed”, 2008, supervisor: A. Jemeļjanovs, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- TOP08-07, “Isolation, culturing and use of mesenchymal stem cells in treatment of an experimentally caused pathology of the nervous system”, 2008-2009, supervisor” D. Babarikins, carried out by: M. Pilmane
- Latvian Council of Science 01.0735 “Centennial changes in structural and electronic properties of the bone”, 2001-2004, supervisor
- Latvian Council of Science 04.1223 “Informativity of the analysis of exoemissions of bones from different centuries in diagnostics and analysis of paleopathological changes”, 2004-2006, supervisor
- Programme of the Latvian Council of Science 06.0036 “Study of medical, social and demographic regularities in the ageing process of the Latvian population”, 2006-2009, supervisor I. Ozolanta, carried out by: J. Vētra
- Latvian Council of Science 08.2201, later 09.1401 “Complex morphopathogenetic aspects of the formation and progress of adhesions in ontogenesis”, 2009-2012, supervisor
National Research Programme “Development of modern functional materials for microelectronics, nanoelectronics, photonics, biomedicine and constructional composites, as well as respective technologies” (supervisor A. Šternbergs) project “Advanced biomaterials and medical technologies” (supervisor L. Bērziņa-Cimdiņa), 2004-2008, co-participant of the morphology section
- Project of the Ministry of Education and Science Study of factors causing mortality and disability in children due to the development of new diagnostic, treatment and preventive measures for the improvement of health of children in Latvia (supervisor D. Gardovska) – subproject 3 (supervisor of the subproject M. Pilmane), 2006-2007, “Determination of different growth factors and Ca2+ metabolism in bone tissue and nervous system at stages of early embryogenesis and experimental study of changes in phenotype in the process of formation of development anomalies”, carried out by: J. Vētra
- National research programme Multifunctional materials and composites, photonics and nanotechnologies (IMIS2) project, Nanomaterials and nanotechnology for medical application subproject 3.4.2, 2014-2017, supervisor I. Šalma, carried out by: J. Vētra
- Latvian Council of Science 06.0036.2.1. “Study of social and anthropometric factors of the ageing process of the population”, 2006-2008, supervisor J. Vētra
- Latvian Council of Science 01.0699 “Pathomorphological and clinical study of the regulatory role of growth factors in cases of disorders in salivary gland secretions”, 2001-2003, supervisor V. Groma
- Latvian Council of Science 04.1212 “Neutrophins and their receptors: their occurrence and comparative morphological study in tissue of non-neural nature”, 2004 – 2008, supervisor V. Groma
- Latvian Council of Science 01.0417 “Diphtheria at the beginning of the 21st century: molecular mechanisms of pathogenesis”, 2001-2003, supervisor L. Vīksna, carried out by: V. Groma
- Latvian Council of Science 01.0714 “Experimental morphological study about guided regeneration of tissues of the alveolar ridge of jaw bones after implantation of calcium phosphate bioceramic materials”, 2001-2003, supervisor A. Skaģers, carried out by: V. Groma
- Research project RSU-ZP07-5/8 “Study of oncological diagnostic and prognostic indicators of the uterus using molecular and cell biology methods”, 2007, supervisor S. Andrējeva, carried out by: V. Groma
- Latvian Council of Science 09.1112 “Mechanisms of involvement of latent/persistent viral infections in etiopathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis”, 2009 – 2012, supervisor A. Lejnieks, carried out by: V. Groma;
- Latvian Council of Science 09.1394 “Study of etiopathogenesis of the chronic fatigue syndrome, post-infectious and unspecified encephalopathies and development of diagnostic criteria”, 2009-2012, supervisor M. Murovska, carried out by: V. Groma
- European Union Framework programmes/programme “Human Resources and Employment”, project No. 009/0199/1DP126.96.36.199.0/09APIA/VIAA/090 “Multidisciplinary study of a group of young scientists for the development of biomaterial technologies”, 2010–2012, supervisor L. Bērziņa-Cimdiņa, carried out by:V. Groma
Clinical trial - Roche Academy scientific project competition. Project Study of SHH signaling pathway of basal cell carcinomas, 2017, supervisor: V.Groma, executive doctoral student: J.Moisejenko-Goluboviča.
Clinical trial - Roche Academy scientific project competition. Project Investigation of the inflammatory process using the synovial tissue inflammatory expression scale and anti-S100 antibodies in case of osteoarthritis, 2017 - 2018, supervisor: V.Groma, executor resident: M.Tarasovs,
Clinical Study - Roche Academy, Morphological Characteristics of Anterior Thigh Lateral and Scapular Lever Donor Sites, 2019, Project Manager: Valērija Groma.
Valērija Groma and Sandra Skuja
- Project of the European Union Structural Funds EEZ09AP-24/03 “Evaluation of premalignant and malignant endometrial pathologies in the Latvian female population and selection of prognostic biomarkers for the development of an algorithm, 2008-2010, supervisor V. Groma, 2008 – researcher S. Skuja
- Latvian Council of Science 478/2012 “Identifying the participation of beta herpesviruses HHV-6 and HHV-7 in the development of encephalopathy, encephalitis and epilepsy using a multidisciplinary approach”, 2013-2016, supervisor M. Murovska, carried out by: V. Groma, S. Skuja
- RSU Scientific Council 14 2013 “Association of the human heart valve pathologies with parvovirus B19 and herpes virus HPA-6 infection – morphological, virological and biomechanical aspects”, 2013-2016, supervisor P. Stradiņš, carried out by: V. Groma, S. Skuja
- National research programme, “Biomedicine for public health (BIOMEDICINE)” project, “Creation of innovative regulation and modulation strategies for an infectious process” subproject 2015 - 2017. No.5.7.2, supervisor M. Murovska, carried out by:V. Groma, S. Skuja; project No.1 “Research of personalized monitoring, diagnostics and treatment of processes caused by atherosclerosis”, 2015-2017, supervisor A. Ērglis, performer V. Groma; 2015 - 2017, subproject 5.6.1 “Study of the complex of acute and chronic diseases in children for the development of diagnostics and treatment algorithms to reduce mortality, extension of life expectancy and improve the quality of life and public health”, supervisor A. Pētersons, carried out by: V. Groma.
Fundamental and applied research project no. lzp-2018 / 1-0149 “Interdisciplinary study on the effects of inflammatory joint diseases on neurocognitive function”. Subprogram 05.01.00 "Provision of scientific activity”, 2018-2021, manager - V.Groma.
- Project of the European Union’s 7th Framework Programme “Researchers’ night in Latvia” (NIGHT LV) EU grant No. 200253, 01.08.2007-31.1.2008, performer
- Study of human parvovirus B19, bocavirus and parvovirus 4 involvement in inflammatory neurological diseases using an interdisciplinary approach. Project partners: Taiwan, Latvia and Lithuania, 2017 – 2018, supervisor: leading researcher Z. Nora-Krukle.
- Cooperation agreement with SIA “SKDS” “WHO European Region Child Obesity Supervision” on briefing and training of interviewers within the framework of the study “Performing field work for survey for the study of anthropometric parameters and school environment of children in school year 2012/2013”. Agreement No. 05/10/2012 - AU, 2012, carried out by: S. Umbraško
- Cooperation contract work with LOC “Strong and healthy back”, development of pupil’s posture, foot and physical development, 2007-2009, carried out by: S. Umbraško
Cooperation agreement with Jurmala Municipality “Evaluation of posture and gait of school age children in Jurmala”, 2008, carried out by: S. Umbraško
- Pilot project of the Ministry of Education and Science and National Centre for Education No.-Gr.-6-25/2011./0234. “Approbation of the implementation of an education programme for six-year-old school-students”, 2011-2012, April-August, carried out by: S. Umbraško
- Within the framework of the project of the Ministry of Education and Science “Development of research activity in universities”, subproject No.5-27/722 “Physical development change indicators, musculo-skeletal system indicators, deviations and different physical readiness parameters of school age children and youths”, 01.04.2005-30.04.2006, supervisor I. Duļevska, carried out by: J. Vētra
- Campaign organised by DHL Express at schools “All Latvia Bank Championship”, 2012, carried out by: S. Umbraško
- Cooperation agreement with Mālpils municipality self-government and Mālpils Secondary School, 2017, performer – S. Umbraško and Anthropology Laboratory.
- Cooperation agreement with Ropaži municipality self-government and Ropaži Secondary School within the framework of international project “Sporto visa klase”, 2016 – 2017, performer – S. Umbraško and Anthropology Laboratory.
- Cooperation agreement with Ropaži municipality self-government and Zaķumuiža Primary School within the framework of international project “Sporto visa klase”, 2016 – 2017, performer – S. Umbraško and Anthropology Laboratory.
- Order of the Ministry of Defence “Pathological stress fractures, their aetiology, prognosis and prophylaxis”, 2002, supervisor L. Pļaviņa
- National Defence Academy initiative work “Characteristics of physical readiness indicators of cadets during studies un the Latvian National Defence Academy”, 2004, supervisor L. Pļaviņa
- National Defence Academy initiative work “Evaluation of physical activity and physical readiness of cadets”, 2005, supervisor L. Pļaviņa
- Identification No. AIVA 2005/099 “Characteristics of functional indicators of health condition of soldiers and development of preventive recommendations for health improvement”, 2005-2007, supervisor P. Tretjakovs, researcher L. Pļaviņa
- National Defence Academy AZPC-02/02-2010 “Report of research work in the National Defence Academy – Analysis of anthropometric indicators and characteristics of physical preparedness of cadets”, 2010, supervisor L. Pļaviņa
- Clinical research – NAA, Study of functional capacity of the musculoskeletal system and oxidative stress before and after a combat endurance course, including the analysis of individual endurance, 2019, supervisor.
- Latvian Council of Science 06.0036.2.1. “Study of social and anthropometric factors of the ageing process of the population”, 2006 – 2008, supervisor J. Vētra, carried out by: Dz. Kažoka
- National Library of Latvia - authorship agreement No. 1.1.-15.2/2016/53 “Anatomical entry for the National Library of Latvia (NLL)” (08.03.2016 – 14.12.2016); carried out by: Dz. Kažoka
- Target scholarship for modernisation of RSU study programmes of the Boris and Inara Teterev Foundation “Pilot project for the development of keywords of human anatomy, histology and embryology study courses”, 2016, performers M. Pilmane, E. Sidhoma, Dz. Kažoka
- RSU project ZP 01/2013 032 Longitudinal study of morphopathogenesis of clefts, 2016, supervisor M. Pilmane, researcher E. Sidhoma
- Within the framework of the project of the Ministry of Education and Science “Development of research activity in universities”, subproject No.5-27/722 “Physical development change indicators, musculo-skeletal system indicators, deviations and different physical preparedness parameters of school age children and youths”, 01.04.2005-30.04.2006, supervisor I. Duļevska
- HORIZON 2020 project “Personalised Risk assessment in febrile illness to Optimise Real-life Management across the European Union” (PERFORM) agreement No. 668303. 2016 – 2020 supervisor: F. Martinon-Torres (Spain), researcher: A.Bārzdiņa
Paediatric Brain Monitoring. IRAS project ID: 221988; Protocol number: AC17027. Paediatric Brain Monitoring with Information Technology (KidsBrainIT) Innovations to ImproveChildhood Traumatic Brain Injury Intensive Care Management, Outcome, and Patient Safety, 2017 – 2019, supervisor - Dr. T.Y.M. Lo, researcer: A.Bārzdiņa
- No. 2013/0007/1DP/188.8.131.52.0/13/APIA/VIAA/024 “Attraction of a group of young scientists for synergic study for the development of bone tissue regenerating nanostructured composite materials”, 01.09.2014 - 31.08.2015, supervisor U. Berķis, performer M. Gržibovskis
- Multicentred double-blind trial “Evaluation of dorsal root ganglion pulsed radiofrequency treatment and therapeutic effects of transforaminal administration of corticosteroids in case of chronic radicular pain”, P. Stradiņš Clinical University Hospital Pain Care Department in cooperation with DAP Pain Clinic and Vilnius Santariškių Clinic Pain Therapy Department, 2013, performer E. Vasiļevskis
- Latvian Zhong Yuan Qigong Association, P. Stradiņš Hospital Endocrinology Centre; RSU Institute of Anatomy and Anthropology; Kundawell Medical Research Institute (China, Beijing) “Evaluation of efficiency of image medicine therapy in patients with somatic diseases”; 02.2015-09.2015, project coordinator E. Vasiļevskis
- European Society for Paediatric Anaesthesiology NCT01878760 from 28.05.2015 study “Evaluation of dorsal root ganglion pulsed radiofrequency treatment and therapeutic effects of transforaminal administration of corticosteroids in case of chronic radicular pain”, 2015, supervisor Walid Habre, M.D. University Hospital, Geneva, performer E. Vasiļevskis
- EPI ROTA-034 BOD EUR “Pressure on primary health care in Bulgaria and Latvia generated by the rotavirus gastroenteritis in children below 5”, 2012 – 2013, performer A. Oginska
“Integrated health promotion and disease prevention measures". Pilot project for smoking cessation to implementat disease prevention measures, 2016 - 2019.
Aurika Babjoniševa (clinical trials)
Since 2003, she has been managing the development of clinical trials in pulmonology in the P. Stradiņš Clinical University Hospital as a principal investigator.
She was and is the principal investigator in the following clinical trials:
Indication Study phase Year Study number Pneumonia II 2004-2005 3074A1313WW Pneumonia II 2005-2006 WI 18273 Bronchial asthma II 2006-2007 TPU-TT-EU05-01 Bronchial asthma II 2007-2008 0793E202 COPD III 2007-2008 CQAB149B2334 COPD II 2007-2010 NB19751 Bronchial asthma III 2008 P04705 Bronchial asthma III 2008-2009 CCD-0605-PR-0021 COPD IV 2008-2010 BI 205.389 COPD III 2010 CQAB149B2348 COPD IV 2010-2013 BI 205.452 COPD III 2010-2012 CQVA149A2307 COPD IV 2011-2015 HZC113782 Bronchial asthma II 2010-2011 BI 205.420 Bronchial asthma III 2011-2012 BI 205.418 COPD II 2012 CD-RI-MEDI8968-1103 COPD III 2012 CNVA237A2314 COPD 2012 IG0903 Bronchial asthma III 2012-2013 CQMF149E2201 COPD III 2012-2013 CQVA149A2339 COPD IV 2014-2015 CQVA149A3401 COPD III 2014-2015 CQVA149A2318 Pneumonia II 2014-2015 CE01-300 Asthma II 2014-2017 CD-RI-MEDI9929-1146 Bronchiectasis III 2014-2016 ARD-3150-1201 (ORBIT-3) Bronchiectasis III 2014-2016 BAY q3939/15625 (RESPIRE 1) Bronchiectasis III 2015-2016 BAY q3939/15626 (RESPIRE 2) COPD IV 2015- BI 1237.19 Pneumonia III 2014-2017 PTK0796-CAB1200 COPD III 2014- CCD0599AA1-08 Paratec 2017 – 2018 PTK0796-CAB1200 Chiesi Farmaceutici 2017 CCD0599AA1-08 MEREO Bio Pharma 2017 MBCT206 Novartis 2017 – 2018 CQVM149B2301 Novartis 2017 – 2018 CQVM149B2302 Novartis 2017 – 2018 CQVM149B2204 Novartis 2017 CQAW039A2307 Novartis 2017 – 2018 CQAW039A2315
- Clinical research – Novartis, A 2-treatment period, randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter parallel-group study to assess the safety of QAW039 when added to existing asthma therapy in GINA steps 3, 4 and 5 patients with uncontrolled asthma, 2019, leading researcher.
- Clinical research – Novartis, A 52-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled study to assess the efficacy and safety of QAW039 when added to existing asthma therapy in patients with uncontrolled severe asthma, 2019, leadig researcher.
- Clinical research – Novartis, A multi-center, randomized, 52 week treatment, doubleblind, triple-dummy, parallel-group study to assess the efficacy and safety of QMF149 compared with mometasone furoate in patients with asthma, 2019, leading researcher.
- Clinical research – Novartis, A multi-center, randomized, 12 week treatment, doubleblind study to assess the efficacy and safety of QMF149 (150/80 mcg) compared with MF Twisthaler (200 mcg) in adult and adolescent patients with asthma, 2019, leading researcher.
- Clinical research – Paretex, A phase 3, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, comparator-controlled study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of intravenous to oral delafloxacin in adult subjects with community-acquired bacterial pneumonia, 2019, leading researcher.
- Ministry of Education and Science RSU-ZP 07-10 Study of factors causing mortality and disability in children, paediatric diseases, paediatric infectious diseases, paediatric surgery, paediatric rheumatology, public health, genetics, morphology, immunogenetics, embryology, dentistry (supervisor D. Gardovska), subproject Role of placental factors in the aetiology of foetal intrauterine growth delay in Latvia (subproject supervisor D. Rezeberga), carried out by: 2007, 2008, I. Melderis
- Contract work “Transplacental infections and their dynamics in the structure of lethal outcomes”, 2007, carried out by: I. Melderis
Contract work “Dynamics and structure trends of individual perinatal infections in Latvia”, 2007, carried out by: I. Melderis
- Contract work “Role of adrenal pathology in lethal outcomes in the perinatal and neonatal periods”, 2007, carried out by: I. Melderis
- National research programme Scientific study of the major pathologies threatening life expectancy and quality of life of Latvian population with the aid of multidisciplinary research consortium (supervisor A. Pētersons) subproject Impact of placental pathology on the perinatal outcome (subproject supervisor D. Rezeberga); I. Melderis, 2008, carried out by: Ilze Kreicberga
- National research programme Scientific study of the major pathologies threatening life expectancy and quality of life of Latvian population with the aid of multidisciplinary research consortium (supervisor A. Pētersons) subproject Impact of placental pathology on the perinatal outcome (subproject supervisor D. Rezeberga); I. Kreicberga, 2008
- VPP Latvijas iedzīvotāju dzīvildzi un dzīves kvalitāti apdraudošo galveno patoloģiju zinātniskā izpēte ar multidisciplināra pētnieciskā konsorcija palīdzību (vad. A. Pētersons) apakšprojekts Placentas patoloģijas ietekme uz perinatālo iznākumu (apakšprojekta vad. D. Rezeberga); I. Kreicberga, 2008, izpildītāja
Silva Čakstiņa (Smagare)
- Clinical research – NAA, Study of functional capacity of the musculoskeletal system and oxidative stress before and after a combat endurance course, including the analysis of individual endurance, 2019, performer.
- RSU grant - The elaboration of diagnostic prognostic factor algorithm of facial tissue complex regeneration for cleft patients in longitudinal aspect, 2019, research assistant.
- Publications 2002–2020
Articles in internationally cited journals, which have been included in databases (2020)
- Gulbe G., M. Pilmane, V. Saulīte, S. Doniņa, J. Jermolajevs, L. Peškova, A. Valdovska. "Cells and Cytokines in Milk of Subclinically Infected Bovine Mammary Glands after the Use of Immunomodulatory Composition GLP 810." Mediators of Inflammation, Volume 2020, Article ID 8238029, 12 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/8238029 IF 3.545, PubMed, Scopus.
- Balode E., M. Pilmane. "Characteristics of Neuropeptide-Containing Innervation, Tissue Remodeling, Growth, and Vascularity in Noses of Patients With Cleft Lip and Palate." Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 2020, in press. https://doi.org/10.1177/1055665620904519, PubMed, Scopus.
- Jain N., Dz. Kažoka, S. Jain, M. Pilmane. "Anatomical variations in position of mandibular foramen: an East European morphometric study in dry adult human mandibles for achieving a successful inferior alveolar nerve block." Italian journal of anatomy and embryology, IJAE, 2019, Vol 124, No 3: 384-394, 2019 DOI: 10.13128/ijae-11668, PubMed, Scopus
- Buile D., I. Akota, M. Pilmane. "Appearance and distribution of the tissue remodelation growth factors and genes in the hard tissue of children affected by cleft lip palate." LAS Proceedings/ PROCEEDINGS OF THE LATVIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES. Section B, Vol. 74 (2020), No. 3 (726), pp. 171–180. DOI: 10.2478/prolas-2020-0028, Scopus.
- Rimdenoka O., M. Pilmane. "Evaluation of innervation in cleft affected oral mucosa," Papers on Anthropology XXVIII/2, 2020, pp. 50–6. Web of Science https://doi.org/10.12697/poa.2020.29.1.0
- Groma V, M. Tarasovs, S. Skuja , S. Semenistaja, Z. Nora-Krukle , S. Svirskis, M. Murovska. "Inflammatory Cytokine-Producing Cells and Inflammation Markers in the Synovium of Osteoarthritis Patients Evidenced in Human Herpesvirus 7 Infection." Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Aug 20;21(17):E6004, pp. 1-18. doi: 10.3390/ijms21176004. PMID: 32825448, PubMed, Scopus.
- Lifsics A., E. Rate, A. Ivanova, J. Tars, M. Murovska, V. Groma. "Survival analysis of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma patients linked to histopathology, disease stage, tumor stage, risk factors, and received therapy." Exp Oncol, 2020, 42(1), p.p. 51-59. DOI: 10.32471/exp-oncology.2312-8852.vol-42-no-1.14147, PubMed, Scopus.
- Kažoka D., M. Pilmane. 2019. "Detailed Images for Sustainability Development in Cross-Sectional Human Anatomy," Journal of Teacher Education for Sustainability, Vol. 21 (2), P. 27 – 37. Published online 13 Febr 2020; DOI: https://doi.org/10.2478/jtes-2019-0015, Online ISSN: 1691-5534 Sciendo, Scopus, https://content.sciendo.com/view/journals/jtes/21/2/article…
- Ananjevs V., A. Abolins, J. Locs, I. Salma, A. Skagers, J. Vetra, V. Kasyanov. "The histomorphometry of rabbit bone tissue with experimental osteoporosis after implantation of biphasic calcium phosphate materials." Key Engineering Materials, ISSN: 1662-9795, Vol. 850, pp 249-253, © 2020 Trans Tech Publications Ltd, Switzerland. Scopus, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.850.249
- Martinsone-Bērzkalne L., S. Umbraško, I. Duļevska. "Influence of sedentary behaviour on posture symmetry and type among 4–7-year-old children in Riga." Papers on Anthropology XXVIII/2, 2020, pp. 31–39, DOI: https://doi.org/10.12697/poa.2020.29.1.02. Web of Science
Articles in international publications, including university article collections (2020)
- Kažoka Dz., M.Pilmane. "Tutor's roles and performances in modern human anatomy course supported by virtual technology." SOCIETY. INTEGRATION. EDUCATION. Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference, Rēzekne, Latvia, May 22nd-23rd, 2020, Vol. I, P. 341 – 349. http://journals.rta.lv/index.php/SIE/article/view/4954; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17770/sie2020vol1.4954
- Plavina L., M. Hušča (2020) "Is It Easy to Recruit Young Doctors for Military Service?" Proceedings of the 13th International Scientific Conference. Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies Jelgava, RURAL ENVIRONMENT. EDUCATION. PERSONALITY. Vol.13. ISSN 2255-5207, Latvia, 2020, 435-440. DOI: 10.22616/REEP.2020.051
- Dambergs K., G. Sumeraga, M. Pilmane. "Proliferation Markers, Remodeling Factors, Cytokines, Antimicrobial Peptides and Gene Proteins in Cholesteatoma." Biomedical Journal of Technical and Scientific Research, 2020, vol24. Issue 2. DOI: 0.26717/BJSTR.2020.24.004039; ISSN: 2574 -1241.
- Arons M., E. Strīķe, M. Pilmane, E. Vasiļevskis, I. Evansa, I. Paņihins, J. Logasina. "Chronic Lumbosacral Painful Unilateral Radiculopathy: Dorsal Root Ganglion Pulsed Radiofrequency vs. Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injection: A Prospective Randomized Study." Clinics in Surgery, 2020, vol. 5, article 2759.
Monographs or parts thereof, training/reports
- Pilmane M. Institute of Anatomy and Anthropology: report on work in 2001. LMA(RSU), Riga, 2002, pp. 58.
- Rudzītis K. Terminologia medica. Pilmane M. – Translation and editing of histological and embryological terms. Nacionālais apgāds, Riga, 2005, pp. 1360.
- Monograph: M. Pilmane, G.-H. Šūmahers. Medical Embryology. Rīga Stradiņš University, 2006, pp. 335.
- Monograph: Boka S., M. Pilmane, V. Kavak. Embryology and Anatomy for Health Sciences, 2010, RSU, pp. 450.
- Monograph: M. Pilmane, L. Pļaviņa, V. Kavak. Embryology and Anatomy for Health Sciences, 2016, Riga Stradins University, pp. 511.
- Monograph: Zalcmane V., V. Groma. Cell Infrastructure, Jāņasēta, Riga, 2004, pp. 280.
- Monograph: Groma V., V. Zalcmane. Cell: Structure, Functions, Molecular Foundations, 2012, Riga, RSU, pp. 284.
- Vanags I., A. Sandore. Clinical Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care. Gavričenkova L., - wrote the chapter Clinical and Topographic Anatomy for Anaesthesiologists and Intensive Care Specialists, pp. 26-57; 2008, Riga, Nacionālais Apgāds, pp. 1232.
- Chapter in the book “Pain” edited by Logina I., “Medicīnas apgāds”, - M. Arons, I. Evansa, I. Golubovska, Aleksejs Miščuks A. and E. Vasiļevskis. 2013: 363-395.
- Anšmite B., V. Arnis, M. Brēmane, U. Dumpis, I. Eglītis, L. Jurēvica, E. Kļemjato, A. Ķimenis, I. Lucenko, K. Leimane, V. Leimane, V. Nesaule, J. Skārds, A. Skutelis, P. Šmits, A. Villeruša, Z. Zariņš, J. Vētra (scientific advisor). Book of Health. Aizkraukle, “Krauklītis”, 2005.
Veģeris I., R. Balmaks, J. Kolbergs, A. Bārzdiņa BKUS A guide to pediatric intensive care. BKUS, 2017
Clinical anesthesiology and intensive care, ed. Vanaga I. and A. Sondores , SIA Medicīnas apgāds, Rīga, 2017: 1) Gavričenkova.L. Part 1, Part 1.4. Clinical and topographic anatomy for anesthesiologists and resuscitators, pages 54 – 67; 2) Bārzdiņa A. chapter 91.
A guide for primary and perinatal physicians for diagnosing nicotine-dependent patients and provide short interventions to promote smoking cessation in patients ”KĀ PALĪDZĒT PACIENTIEM ATMEST SMĒĶĒŠANU”. Authors: Hofmane A., V. Dombrovskis, A. Vagale, V. Sudraba, D. Baumane-Auza, T. Vanaga, A. Oginska. Rīga, Veselības ministrija, 2018. - 56 pages.
A guide for quitting smoking for members of support group “Es atmetu smēķēšanu”. Authors: Hofmane A., V. Dombrovskis, A. Vagale, V. Sudraba, D. Baumane-Auza, T. Vanaga, A. Oginska. Rīga, Veselības ministrija, 2018. - 55 pages.
Guide “Smēķēšanas atmešanas atbalsta grupu vadīšanai” Authors: Hofmane A., V. Dombrovskis, A. Vagale, V. Sudraba, D. Baumane-Auza, T. Vanaga, A. Oginska. Rīga, Veselības ministrija, 2018. - 120 pages.
Duļevska I., S. Umbraško. Praktiskā antropoloģija (Practical Anthropology). RSU, 150 lpp., ISBN 978-9934-563-17-1
Rūmanss G. M., Dz. Kažoka, M. Pilmane. Klīniskā anatomija medicīnas studentiem (Clinical Anatomy for Medical Students). RSU, 414 lpp., ISBN 978-9934-563-47-8
- Monograph: Juris Bērziņš, Ināra Logina, Māra Pilmane, Egīls Vītols. Neuromuscular Diseases. Nacionālais Apgāds, 2007: 278 pp.
- Monograph: RSU Institute of Anatomy and Anthropology, 2002-2016, compiler and editor-in-chief: M.Pilmane, RSU Publishing House, 2017, 167 pages
Articles in PubMed, Scopus, Web of Sciences databases: 2002–2016 – 76; 2017–2018 – 31; 2019 – 16.
Articles in international editions, including RSU collections, in English: 2002–2016 –148; 2017–2018 – 37; 2019 – 11.
Articles in volumes of Latvian university articles in Latvian: 2002–2016 – 92; 2017–2018 – 3; 2019 – 1.
Training methodologies – 14.
Clinical recommendations and guidelines – 2.
- EU patent – Valdovska A., A. Jemeljanovs, M. Pilmane, I. H. Konosonoka, I. Lazdins. Antibiotic free Feed additive for piglets from Jerusalem artichoke, Lactobacillus reuteri and Pediococcus pentosaceus – 2015 Patent Cooperation Treaty Application/ WO2015047064
- Latvian patent/LV15060 B - A. Skaģers, I. Šalma, Ģ. Šalms, J. Vētra, S. Petronis, M. Pilmane, L. Bērziņa-Cimdiņa, J. Ločs, V. Zālīte Agent for substitution of bone tissue defects in case of osteoporosis – 20.04.2016
- Republic of Poland patent W Swieszkowski, T. Chudoba, S. Kusnieruk, A. Kedzierska, B. Wožniak, J. Rogovska-Tylman, D. Smolen, E. Pietrzykowska, W. Lojkowski, J. Wojnorowic, A. Gedanken, J. Locs, V. Zalite, M. Pilmane, I. Salma. Method of manufacturing bone implant and bone implant; Republic of Poland Patent Office, patent access code: BA-III.P.412238.3.iskow; IHHP PAS access code: P/N 54-31 056/15
- EU patents W Swieszkowski, T. Chudoba, S. Kusnieruk, A. Kedzierska, B. Wožniak, J. Rogovska-Tylman, D. Smolen, E. Pietrzykowska, W. Lojkowski, J. Wojnorowic, A. Gedanken, J. Locs, V. Zalite, M. Pilmane, I. Salma. Method of manufacturing bone implant and bone implant; EU patent
- Wojciech SWIESZKOWSKI, Tadeusz CHUDOBA, Sylwia KUSNIERUK, Aleksandra KEDZIERSKA, Bartosz WOZNIAK, Julia ROGOWSKA-TYLMAN, Dariusz SMOLEN, Elsbieta PIETRZYKOWSI(A, WitoId LOJKOWSKI, Jacek WOJNAROWICZ, Aharon GEDANKEN, Janis LOCS, Vita ZALITE, Mara PILMANE, Ilze SALMA. METHOD FOR MANUFACTURINC EONE IMPLANTS AND BONE IMPLANT PCT/|82016/052566, USA, 30.10.2017
Patent No. Authors Appl. No. Filing date Application publication date Patent publication date Name 12902 B Valda Staņēviča, Jānis Vētra, Artūrs Sočņevs, Dace Gardovska, Jeļena Eglīte, Ruta Šantere P-02-43 18.03.2002. 20.09.2002. 20.01.2003. Diagnostic method for determining liability of the body to rheumatism LV 12919 B Jevgēņija Bikova, Jānis Vētra, Ludmila Ivanova, Bronislava Cafrina, Adrija Keiša, Aleksandrs Akopjans, Jan Kangizers P-02-134 17.07.2002. 20.11.2002. 20.03.2003. Acquisition of biogenic preparation from placenta LV 12988 B V. Skļarevičs, J. Vētra, Z. Kasvande P-01-148 16.10.2001. 20.04.2003. 20.07.2003. Method for obtaining foot surface layout for production of footwear 12987 M. Saba, J. Vētra, A. Pavārs, I. Ivanovs P-01-140 01.10.2001. 20.04.2003. 20.12.2003. Method of diagnostics of suppurative inflamed lymphadenitis with underlying thrombophlebitis
LV 13180 B
J. Vētra, A. Pavārs, I. Ivanovs, M. Sama, S. Klimčuks P-02-181 08.10.2002. 20.06.2004. 20.10.2004. Method of diagnostics of a small intestine disease 13562 A J. Vētra, J. Bikova, A. Akopjans, S. Semjonovs P-06-145 19.12.2006. 20.05.2007. 20.08.2007. Artificial implant for reconstruction of distal section of radius of a dog LV15060 B A. Skaģers, I. Šalma, Ģ. Šalms, J. Vētra, S. Petronis, M. Pilmane, L. Bērziņa-Cimdiņa, J. Ločs, V. Zālīte - - - 20.04.2016. Agent for substitution of bone tissue defects in case of osteoporosis
- Vasilevskis E. Device for locoregional anesthesia. World Intellectual Property Organization, 19. January 2006, International Publication Number WO 2006/006836 A1, International Patent Classification: A61G 13/12, A61M 5/52, International Application Number: PCT/LV2005/000002, International Filing Date: 8 March 2005 (08.03.2005), Priority Data: P-04-76, 9 July 2004 (09.07.2004) LV.
- Scientific conferences organised by IAA 2002-2019
- LUMPII scientific conference, within the framework of the 60th annual conference of the University of Latvia, 28.02.2002. (M. Pilmane)
- International conference dedicated to the 120th birthday of Professor G. Bakman on 3-4 April 2003. in October; at the same time it is also the first Baltic Morphological Conference in the 12 years of freedom with the participation of 24 international colleagues (M. Pilmane)
- International Conference “Oxidative Stress-Antioxidants-Therapeutic Options” together with the Finnish Biomedical Society on December 5, 2003 (M. Pilmane)
- 15th Annual Scientific Conference of the European Neuropeptide Club (President - M. Pilmane)
- V Steering Committee of the Latvian Medical Congress; Morphology meeting dedicated to Professor J. Prīmanis Organization of Classical and Modern Morphology on June 17, 2005 (M. Pilmane)
- Organising Committee of the “The 4th vaccination day” Baltic Conference - 9-10.09.2005. (M. Pilmane)
- IV Baltic Morphology scientific meeting, 19-20 November, 2007 (chair M. Pilmane, organising committee - J. Vētra, S. Umbraško, I. Duļevska)
- “Perspectives of human microscopic and macroscopic structure research” meeting dedicated to morphology within the framework of the Latvian Medical Congress, organised by M. Pilmane on June 20, 2009
- Meeting of the Department of Chemistry, Biology and Medicine of the LAS on May 12-29, 2009, dedicated to the biological properties of bones and biomaterial implants in supporting tissues (M. Pilmane)
- Academic afternoon dedicated to the 90th anniversary of Higher Medical Education in Latvia in 2010. February 2 (M. Pilmane)
- VII Baltic Conference of Morphologists “Morphological Sciences in Experimental and Clinical Medicine” on September 7-9, 2013. November (chair M. Pilmane, in the organising committee Dz. Kažoka)
- "Update in the Use of Imaging Techniques in Regional Anesthesia, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care Medicine" Conference, Riga, May 24-26, 2013. (E. Vasilevskis)
- 1st Latvian Chinese Traditional Medicine Conference and the 3rd International Domform Medicine Conference and Doctors' Round Table on Cooperation between Latvian and Chinese Scientists October 19-20, 2013, Riga (E. Vasilevskis)
- 6th National Congress of the Latvian Association of Anesthesiologists and Resuscitators Ventspils / Latvia 08./09. 12.2017 (A. Bārzdiņa)
- International and local cooperation in the field of learning and research
Local cooperation – joint doctoral students and projects
- P. Stradiņš Clinical University Hospital Centre of Cardiosurgery
- RTU Riga Biomaterials Innovation and Development Centre of Rūdolfs Cimdiņš
Children CUH Clinic of Paediatric Surgery
- RSU Institute of Stomatology
- RSU Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Infectology and Dermatology, Department of Pathology, Department of Biology and Microbiology
- Veselības centrs 4, Hospital of Traumatology and Orthopaedics, Riga Maternity Hospital, Pain Clinic, Berģi Health Centre, P. Stradiņš CUH Bronchology Service, Children Clinical University Hospital Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Clinic, Centre of Microsurgery
- Örebro University, Sweden. Cooperation: teaching of students/masters, joint scientific project, 2 joint books, Erasmus exchange of experience
- Dicle University, Turkey. Cooperation: two jointly published books, Erasmus exchange of experience
- University of Tartu, Estonia. Cooperation: scientific, examination of doctoral students, organisation of joint scientific meetings of Baltic morphologists
Vilnius University, Lithuania. Scientific, examination of doctoral students, organisation of joint scientific meetings of Baltic morphologists
- Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Kaunas, Lithuania. Cooperation: scientific, examination of doctoral students, organisation of joint scientific meetings of Baltic morphologists
- Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey. Cooperation: scientific, Erasmus exchange of experience
- Poland (Warsaw, Institute of High Pressure Physics), Israel (Ramat Gan city, PVNanoCellLtd, Bar-Ilan University), - joint international project, patents
- University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom. Cooperation – scientific consulting, teaching visits
- RTU Riga Biomaterials Innovation and Development Centre of Rūdolfs Cimdiņš
- RSU Laboratory of Biomechanics
- Latvian Centre of Infectious Diseases
- A. Kirhenšteins Institute of Microbiology and Virology
- Pauls Stradiņš CUH Centre of Cardiosurgery
- Department of Microbiology, Tumour and Cell Biology, Karolinska Institute
- Stockholm, Sweden, determination of viral antigens in tissues
- Institute of Experimental Morphology, Pathology and Anthropology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria, ultrastructural studies of viruses
- Radium Hospitalet, Oslo, Norway, EEZ09AP-24/03 project
- Latvian Academy of Art, Department of Contemporary Dance Art
- Latvian Olympic Committee
- Vaivari National Rehabilitation Centre
- Some secondary schools, for example, Ropazi Secondary School, Bergi Health Centre
- Research centre SKDS
- Vilnius University, Lithuania. Scientific, examination of doctoral students, discussions of joint scientific projects
- Training Centre Dzīves stils of the Latvian Association of Aerobics (from 2008)
- Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic. Analysis of anatomy terminology, Erasmus exchange (from 2013)
- Istanbul University Cerrahpasa Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey. Scientific lectures, Erasmus exchange of experience
- Örebro University, Sweden. Two joint books
- Dermatology Department of the Roskilde Hospital and University of Copenhagen, Denmark, Faculty of Health Sciences, joint scientific publications
- Participation in events by RSU and others
- Work groups and projects intended for schools:
- Interinstitutional work group “New Food” at the Ministry of Agriculture on introduction of cloned animals and nanotechnologies – from 02.04.2009 (M. Pilmane)
- LR Ministry of Agriculture Food and Veterinary Service work group – New Food, order of 20.03.2014 (M. Pilmane)
- Within the framework of NORDPLUS international grant programme of the Nordic Council of Ministers with co-financing of Riga City Council and support of the Department of Education, Culture and Sport (IKSD), project of the Riga Catholic Gymnasium ““Support to general education schools young people's integration in the Baltic states” priority economic sector” (PVS ID 2654, NPJR-2013/10457) (M. Pilmane, Dz. Kažoka)
Organisation and reading of lectures/classes in the Academy of Young Medical Students from 2014 (M. Pilmane, S. Umbraško, Dz. Kažoka).
Activities of Shadow Day (2011, 2014, 2016 – M. Pilmane; 2011 – V. Groma, Dz. Kažoka; on a regular basis starting from 2011 – S. Umbraško)
Participation in the organisation of exhibition “Stradiņš Code” (opening on 25.01.2012) with exhibits from the exhibition of the AAI Museum
Participation in the organisation of exhibition “Scientific Society of Students” (opening on 28.03.2012) with personal exhibits and displays from the collection of the AAI Museum
Creation of a brochure – leaflet of the Institute of Anatomy and Anthropology – 06.2013;
Participation in the exhibition “Medbaltica 2013” in September 2013 and “Medbaltica 2016” in September 2016 – information about methods of electron microscopy (V. Groma)
Organisation of Open Doors Days in AAI – 02.04.2016 (M. Pilmane, Dz. Kažoka)
Organisation of Researchers’ Night in RSU Theatrum Anatomicum on 24 September 2010 – Why should we know our anatomical body? (M. Pilmane, V. Groma, Dz. Kažoka)
Participation in the organisation and performance of similar public events on 28 September 2007 (M. Pilmane, Dz. Kažoka, J. Vētra) and on 28 September 2015 (Dz. Kažoka, E. Sidhoma, G. Skruze), and the events organised in 2011 and 2016 – S. Umbraško.
- Work groups and projects intended for schools:
- Student conferences
Morphological science conferences
2002 - 2019: 18 conferences
- VII Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 2 May 2002 – 16 presentations (organisers O. Koroļova, M. Pilmane)
- VIII Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 8 May 2003 – 34 presentations (organisers R. Žagare, V. Groma, M. Pilmane)
- IX Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 5 May 2004 – 25 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, R. Žagare, V. Groma, I. Duļevska)
- X Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 5 May 2005 – presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, R. Žagare, V. Groma, I. Duļevska)
- XI Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 18 May 2006 – 24 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, R. Žagare, V. Groma, I. Duļevska)
- XII Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 10 May 2007 – 18 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, R. Žagare, V. Groma, I. Duļevska)
- XIII Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 14 May 2008 – 15 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, R. Žagare, V. Groma, I. Duļevska)
- XIV Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 5 May 2009 – 14 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, R. Žagare, V. Groma, I. Duļevska)
- XV Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 13 May 2010 – 31 presentation (organisers M. Pilmane, V. Groma, Dz. Kažoka, I. Duļevska)
- XVI Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 12 May 2011 – 29 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, V. Groma, Dz. Kažoka, I. Duļevska)
- XVII Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 16 May 2012 – 32 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, V. Groma, Dz. Kažoka, I. Duļevska)
- XVIII Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 17 May 2013 – 22 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, V. Groma, Dz. Kažoka, I. Duļevska)
- XIX Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 15 May 2014 – 29 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, Dz. Kažoka, O. Koļesova, E. Jakovicka)
- XX Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 14 May 2015 – 38 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, Dz. Kažoka, O.Koļesova, E.Jakovicka)
- XXI Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 12 May 2016 – 34 presentations (organisers M. Pilmane, Dz. Kažoka, E. Sidhoma, E. Jakovicka)
- XXII Students’ Conference of Morphological Sciences on 11 May 2017 (organisers M. Pilmane, Dz. Kažoka, E. Jakovicka)
- XXIII Student Morphology Sciences Conference on 10 May 2018 (organisers: M. Pilmane, Dz. Kažoka, E. Jakovicka)
- XXIV Student Morphology Sciences Conference on 9 May 2019 (organisers: M. Pilmane, Dz. Kažoka, E. Sidhoma, D. Enkuzena).
An agreement regarding summer traineeship for outstanding students under the supervision of Professor G. Rūmanss for three years was concluded on 2003 between the Department of Anatomy of the Uppsala University, Sweden, and the Institute of Anatomy and Anthropology of the Rīga Stradiņš University. Students Z. Jaunmuktāne, A. Ivanovs, M. Malzubris and A. Ribakovs visited Uppsala.
Anatomy Olympiads (16)
Anatomy Olympiads are a unique event organised by students. The initiative group of 2004 was led by Maksims Timčenko, whose idea was to develop training materials allowing to test the knowledge of other students. Finally it was decided to attract to the event as many students as possible and the nature of the Anatomy Olympiad has not changed much since then: 2nd year students develop assignments of various degrees of difficulty, and teams made up of 1st year students have to solve them. This is an all-day event in the Theatrum Anatomicum. Winners receive medals and commemorative prizes, and everybody, both students and teachers, really enjoy the event! Swedish and German colleagues who had the chance to participate in the event, have taken the idea back to their universities. Gradually the concept of the Anatomy Olympiad gained popularity and in 2016 it became an international event attended by student teams from universities of neighbouring and other countries wishing to compete for awards and make new acquaintances.
The organisation of Anatomy Olympiads is supported by RSU management, Faculty of Medicine Dean’s office, all the AAI staff, and specifically M. Pilmane, R. Žagare, Dz. Kažoka.
- I Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, May 2004
- II Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 22 April 2005
- III Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 12 May 2006
- IV Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 11 May 2007
- V Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 9 May 2008
- VI Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 15 May 2009
- VII Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 7 May 2010
- VIII Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 27 May 2011
- IX Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 24 May 2012
- X Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 24 May 2013
- XI Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 23 May 2014
- XII Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 29 May 2015
- XIII Baltic Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 19–20 May 2016
- XIV Baltic Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, AAI, 25–26 May 2017
- XV Baltic Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, IAA, 17 – 18 May 2018
- XVI Baltic Anatomy Olympiad, RSU, IAA, 16 – 17 May 2019
- 1st Histology Olympiad, RSU, IAA, 13 December 2019